A1 60145 Saint Mungo - Tender

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tranby1
GNR J52 0-6-0T

A1 60145 Saint Mungo - Tender

Post by Tranby1 »

Does anybody know the circumstances whereby A1 60145 Saint mungo lost her tender. This was removed circa July 1966 - she arrived in Hull for scrapping minus the tender.
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

St Mungo arrived in Drapers yard Hull for cutting up in September 1966 apparently minus both it's tender and it's double chimney.

It must have looked a very sorry sight, if only I could rewind history and Draper had done what Dai Woodham did in Barry :cry:

I would have done my level best to have saved "Wildebeeste" that B1 stalwart of the rails in Hull and East Yorkshire - it deserved a better fate.
Oh!?!? and I would have also tried to save another A3 and perhaps a V2 too!

Sorry, that's all I have :(
John B
Tranby1
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Tranby1 »

John B wrote:St Mungo arrived in Drapers yard Hull for cutting up in September 1966 apparently minus both it's tender and it's double chimney.

It must have looked a very sorry sight, if only I could rewind history and Draper had done what Dai Woodham did in Barry :cry:

I would have done my level best to have saved "Wildebeeste" that B1 stalwart of the rails in Hull and East Yorkshire - it deserved a better fate.
Oh!?!? and I would have also tried to save another A3 and perhaps a V2 too!

Sorry, that's all I have :(
Yes, the B1 was apparently sent for scrap after two poor runs and the shed authorities decided to condemn her. As told to me by former drivers of Dairycoates
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Here is a photo of Saint Mungo shown at Dairycoates in 1964 taken by Peter Brumby who has very kindly given his permission for me to publish the photo here. Enjoy!

Plainly she is going nowhere as the chimney is covered over, it's a good picture of her and she looks to be in good condition.

Was this her last stance before visiting Drapers yard or did she do any work after the date of this photo?

According to Peter Brumby this loco was only mothballed for a very short time before being pressed into service again at York. St Mungo was eventually withdrawn in June 1966.

The locomotive behind St Mungo is 60126 "Sir Vincent Raven"
which was withdrawn in early 1965.
Attachments
60145 ST MUNGO DC 04 1964.jpg
St Mungo 60145
Copywrite Peter Brumby
(201.32 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
John B
book law
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by book law »

i think saint mungo should have never been scrapped