Route Availability on the LNER.

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Route Availability on the LNER.

Post by Colombo »

I have posted this as a new string, because it opens up a whole new subject.
JohnB has raised the subject of Route Availability on the Hull to Withernsea line. These lines in East Yorkshire were subject to weight and clearance restrictions which stopped the larger and heavier locos being used. I have photos of G5s and C12s in use and there has been a suggestion of a B1 being used.

The B1s were classed as Route Availability 5 as was the Ivatt C12, (whilst the G5 was RA4). So one would guess that route availability should not have stopped a B1 being used to Withernsea or Hornsea.

That raises an issue that could usefully be aired here. I can find no listing of RA on the internet. Does anybody have any references that list RA for different routes?

We need a tabulation of RA for different years as lines were upgraded as Civil Engineering work was carried out to ease weight restrictions and clearances. It could be very useful for railway modellers who want to represent the traffic on a particular line.

Colombo
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Yes Colombo,

This is an area worthy of investigation.

I have found photographs of Thompson L1 2-6-4T engines on both the Hornsea and Withernsea lines and according to my "Observers Book of Railway Locomotives" these engines were designated as RA 7 ???? A B1 would surely have easily been accommodated on these lines with a RA of 5. The B1 weighs 123 tons whereas the L1 weighs in at only 89 tons, so how come the L1's were restricted to RA 7 and were still to be found on these lines?

Regarding the different RA of specific lines at different periods, I am afraid I cannot throw any illumination on the topic apart from sharing some of Network Rail's pronouncements on the subject.

"Axle Loads
The tracks and structures over which freight trains pass are designed, built and maintained to different standards, according to the speed, weight and volume of trains likely to be in use. Axle load restrictions are currently expressed by a Route Availability (RA) number, with the key groupings being:

RA 1-6 up to 20.3 tonnes per axle;
RA 7-9 up to 24.1 tonnes per axle;
RA 10 up to 25.4 tonnes per axle.
On the continent, axle loads tend to be around 22.5 tonnes. An international freight train must be loaded to comply with the lowest axle load restriction along its route."

This maybe of interest however re the development of the ECML. Virgin's 200mph trains are proposed with an investment of £5 billion :o

http://www.railwaypeople.com/rail-proje ... ine-6.html
John B
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Route availabilities were set out in booklets covering areas corresponding to the sectional appendix. They listed every line and of course many sidings were of lower RA than their main lines so these were also listed. In addition some routes would allow vehicles of higher RA under certain conditions and also the reverse could also apply. Not a simple subject under LNER days with many more routes and sidings than today!
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

RCTS Locomotives of the LNER Part 1 has some written descriptions of the route availabilities on pages 84-6.

The NER is noted for the least number of restrictions during LNER days.
The Hornsea Branch is quoted at RA7.

RA 7 maps to "15-16 British Standard Units" and a maximum axle load of 20 tons.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Richard,

Thanks for the information about the Hornsea branch being RA7. Checking through my Observers book of Railway Locomotives of Britain, just about the only locomotives to be excluded, that is those in RA8 or RA9, would be the LNER Pacifics, the V2s, Britannias, and the D49s, which were RA8 surprisingly. It is interesting that it would apparently have been in order to run a Clan, but it could not be turned at the terminus.

I do not have a comparable listing for the LMS locos, but all the other Standard classes could have been run, although I am not too sure about the 9F.

Colombo
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes the RCTS book also has a table listing many of the engine ratings - I was surprised to see the D49 high up the list.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Suddaby
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Route Availability on the LNER

Post by Suddaby »

Hi Everyone,

New member, making his first post, on the above subject.

Source of info - "BR Route Availability of Locomotives and restrictions on Double Heading of Trains" NE Region - dated April 1964 - just before Beeching's axe fell on the Withernsea and Hornsea lines.

I can confirm that Hornsea is RA7, but strangely enough Withernsea is RA9 - goodness knows why, and quite remarkable considering parts of the line were single track, though I know that in itself doesn't mean a lot in this context. I presume that Withernsea is RA9 as there are no real bridges on the route except Holderness Drain - which looks pretty substantial a structure to me. Hornsea however had Hornsea Bridge Station bridge which doesn't look that strong.

The biggest loco that I have seen a photo of on the Withernsea branch is a Black 5, on a troop special.

Also B1's are down as being RA7.

I also have a 1931 Appendix to the General Rules etc, and that doesn't show any restrictions on either branch - though I am sure you will all be relieved to know that in Bridlington Gas Works - Siding and Depot the following were prohibited - A1 A2 A3 A5 A6 A7 K3 Q7 - the thought of Flying Scotsman shunting a few coal wagons in Bridlington Gas Works did have me quite worried!!!! :D

Regards

Kevin
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Weclome to the forums Kevin!

Some of the route availabilities were a bit odd. The Crossgates-Wetherby line (local to where I grew up) had different RAs for each direction! It was originally built due to outstanding legal obligations from the builders.

Originally a single-track branch it was later double-tracked (for WW2 commuter traffic iirc). It was the first line to be closed under the Beeching Axe.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Kevin,

The Observer's book of Railway Locomotives of Great Britain has the B1 class as RA5, the same as the B17 which is the same weight. I wonder which party got it right. If The GE section demanded RA5 locos, I can't see that the LNER would have built an all purpose locomtive that could not run all over the GE, would you?

Colombo
Suddaby
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Route Availability on the LNER

Post by Suddaby »

Hi Columbo,

Yes, it looks like the Observers Book of Railway Locos is correct, I have just looked in the green bible and it clearly states that they are RA5. So not sure why the other "official" BR source should differ - I can't think they would have reclassified the locos in the 60's, and there is no mention in either GB or Yeadon's book - also what you say about there use in E Anglia makes sense.

Regards

Kevin
Norfolkman
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Norfolkman »

Hi

At the NNR we have on the wall of one of our museums an LNER Route Map (see attached) - can anyone explain why it clearly states that B12s were banned from what is now the North Yorkshire Moors line from Whitby to Pickering (shown by red line)?
Attachments
NNR 2005-10-29 024 (Why were B12s banned from what is now the NYMR).jpg
(131.96 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Norfolkman,

It is difficult to see why a B12, an RA4 locomotive, should not be allowed to use a route regularly used by D49s, which are RA8.

The restriction from Scarborough to Gallows Close could be a clue. This is a route through a Tunnel on a sharp curve. Sharp curves exist on the NYMR route and from Whitby to Middlesborough. Could it be anything to do with the front overhang on a B12 that could perhaps go outside the loading gauge on tight curves? The gradients on the NYMR are very severe, particularly between Grosmont and Goathland, could this be another the reason?

Colombo
badwolf
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

RA

Post by badwolf »

You`ve hit the nail on the head there Colombo, its not just about weight but also overhang due to length, also LNER locos are quite wide over the cylinders compared to some others,
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

A magazine photo (unconfirmed) has been sighted of a Peppercorn A1 at Keyingham heading for Withernsea, unfortunately the person who has seen the photo can no longer find it.

In theory it is all possible!!?!? RA9 loco on an RA9 branchline.

I have also heard of a Black five at Withernsea on a troop train.
John B