LNER K1's

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

LNER K1's

Post by karlrestall »

hi all,

I am doing some work for the NYMR. While I was training to be a TTI one of my mentors told me that a folder with all the information about the locomotives that we operate there would be useful. Well I passed out as a TTI last week and I am beginning to compile a folder but I need help with some information on the K1/1. Does anyone know; how much coal the tender carried? How heavy the locomotive and tender are? and what the total length of the locomotive and tender is? I no that I may be asking questions that will prove difficult to answer, but the general public will ask anything :lol:

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

These are statistics which I'll probably be adding to the Technical Details when I go through all the locomotive pages and review them starting sometime next year.
The main problem (from a page maintenance point of view) is that many engines had different types of tender, and tender modifications are not unknown.

Anyway...

Are you sure you mean the Thompson K1/1? (No. 61997 MacCailin Mor, rebuilt from a K4, withdrawn 1961)
The preserved K1 is Peppercorn's production version of the K1/1: No. 62005.

For the Peppercorn K1, the RCTS "Locomotives of the LNER" (Vol. 6A), quotes:

Total length over buffers (incl. tender): 59ft 10in
Total wheelbase (incl. tender): 49ft 5in

Water Capacity = 4200 gallons
Coal Capacity = 7 tons 10 cwt
Coal-weighing tender is noted as having only 3,750 gallon capacity.
Engine Weight = 66 tons 0cwt
Tender (full) = 52 tons 0cwt

The Thompson K1/1 was slightly shorter:

Total length = 58ft 1 5/8in
Total wheelbase = 48ft 6 7/8in

Water capacity = 3500 gallons
Coal capacity = 5 tons 10cwt
Engine Weight = 66 tons 17 cwt
Tender (full) = 44 tons 4cwt

If you have a specific list of locos to swot up on, then it is probably worth investing in the relevant RCTS and Yeadon volumes.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia