St Boswells Loco

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

owen
NER Y7 0-4-0T

St Boswells Loco

Post by owen »

Can anyone tell where this pic was taken and is there any more like this.
Can anyone tell me whos in the pic .
This pic is about 118 years old.
Thanks
Owen
Attachments
st boswells.jpg
(245.1 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Hi originally NBR locos were named after places close to where they worked, but the names were removed around 1884 by the then chief Mechanical Engineer Mathew Holmes.
The locomotive illustrated looks like a Dugald Drummond Abbotsford class 4-4-0 introduced in 1877 for the principal express workings on the Waverley route of the NBR between Edinburgh and Carlisle.
So the photograph is pre 1884 and judging by the number of men, the countryside and the state of the track i would hazard a guess of the location as being near or outside one of the smaller NBR sheds on the waverley route maybe St Boswells or Hawick. It looks like an area for fire dropping.
The loco St Boswells carried the NBR number 490 and was later classed as a D28/29 By the LNER. For further information please go to the link below.

www.lner.info/locos/D/d27d28.shtml
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

on further examination i rescind my comments on a possibile fire dropping area. It is evident that the men are engaged in renewing track my other comments stand. As the loco is named St Boswells i guess that the loco is either on the Waverley route or local branch lines such as the Kelso line the Border counties route or the Peebles line.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

if the track looks like being renewed then perhaps it is actually being first laid?
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Possibilitys

Post by 52D »

Well thought i wonder if the men are laying one of the branchlines off the Waverly route either to Tweedmouth via Kelso or to Reston via Duns.