Carriage Signs

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Carriage Signs

Post by Dave »

Looking at drawing 13943N Arrangement of writing for non-vestibule twin 3rd brake dated 1939, I noticed the smoking/smoking prohibited lables on the windows were shown as oblongs.

I always thought these lables were circular, does anyone know if the oblong type superseded the circle and when was it introduced, plus what colour was it.
2512silverfox

Re: Carriage Signs

Post by 2512silverfox »

The smoking signs were oblong in dark blue with white writing and the non smoking signs were circular in gold with dark blue writing. There were several versions of the smoking sign some bearing advertising.
Attachments
Smoking.jpg
Smoking.jpg (11.6 KiB) Viewed 5358 times
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you,
The drawing implies the smoking prohibited signs were oblong as well, so they've just drawn one type and noted it for both types.
Learn something new every day
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

For anyone looking for these in model form, John Peck (Precision Labels) does them, item D10B. As used here:

A few years ago I had need of one of the 'Ladies Only' ones and though I contacted the LNERCA no-one could tell me what colour that should have been: any takers now?
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:39 am, edited 4 times in total.
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

Although it is from memory which is somewhat dangerous as a precedent, I am pretty sure that the Ladies Only signs were very much the same as the Smoking sign and with the same colouring.

Also attached is the non smoking sign which I forgot yesterday!
Attachments
No Smoking.jpg
No Smoking.jpg (12.54 KiB) Viewed 5252 times
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you for that info on where to get the transfers, I have looked for these before but never seen any, I will now get some, my model passengers will be upset when I start curtailing their smoking pleasures.
James Brodie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by James Brodie »

Dear Sir,
Nice model of the clerestory roofed CL
What scale is it please?
Jim Brodie.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Hi Jim,

It's 4mm, built using Bill Bedford's etches. There was a 7mm kit; if you have a look through Boeing757's threads he has one which he was refurbishing.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Dave wrote:Looking at drawing 13943N Arrangement of writing for non-vestibule twin 3rd brake dated 1939, I noticed the smoking/smoking prohibited lables on the windows were shown as oblongs.

I always thought these lables were circular, does anyone know if the oblong type superseded the circle and when was it introduced, plus what colour was it.
Dave,

There's a useful summary of these in their several varieties by the late John Curtis on pp9-10 of LNER Study Group Journal 37 (Spring 2008). It may not answer all your queries but it does include colour information and dimensions, and positioning on glazing...
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Thank you 65447 for that information, I don't remember the article, but I will look out my copy of that issue.