Flying Scotsman

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

51L
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Flying Scotsman

Post by 51L »

Hi all
just got a question to ask
Who likes 4472 as it is (before going into NRM workshop)
What is the loco going to come out as when the work has finished in ? years/months time?
Chris
Chris.Fernihough
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

You're going to open that bag of worms? :-)

There are a wide range of opinions. Often the NRM really have a bad time of it - they're dammed if they do and they're dammed if they don't. Eg. the streamlined Duchess project ( even though someone else is paying for it).

I take a more pragmatic approach than many others. No steam locomotive that runs on the mainline network is in original condition . This is for both legal and practical reasons. Flying Scotsman is no different. Being one of the first of the A1s, it has seen virtually every change applied to the A1s and they continued to receive modifications over their 40 years of commerical life. So it is never going to have its valves reverted or revert to an A1 boiler (assuming one could be made). The Kylchap is a useful addition but there's a trade-off because the smoke deflectors are then required for safety reasons. The NRM have already tried running it with the Kylchap but without the smoke deflectors. It appears the result was a negative.

Liveries? I'm all for lots of different liveries! There's too much BR black.
As well as it being good to see LNER green, GER blue, etc I think it helps the general public. If I (the admin of this site) have confused a J15 and a J21 picture this year, then what chance do the general public have? "Look dear, its another black locomotive!"

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Flying Scotsman
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Flying Scotsman Livery

Post by Flying Scotsman »

:) Jonathan Stead here!

I might be the only one in the country who thinks this.
I like scotsman in the condition she's in (before her Overhaul) with the smoke Deflectors and the LNER livery.

But I also like Flying Scotsman in orignal condition.

Thanks!
Ben
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: Flying Scotsman Livery

Post by Ben »

Flying Scotsman wrote::) Jonathan Stead here!

I might be the only one in the country who thinks this.
I like scotsman in the condition she's in (before her Overhaul) with the smoke Deflectors and the LNER livery.

But I also like Flying Scotsman in orignal condition.

Thanks!
I think your right, you may be the only person in the country who thinks that. Just a coat of BR Brunswick green would have made her authenic, and no matter what people say, its a nice livery on Flying Scotsman
ImageImage
51L
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 51L »

Hi All
I like Scotsman in BR Green with double chimney and smoke deflectors.
I think Scotsman in LNER livery and BR look (Chimney and Deflectors) is Ugly and does not look right.
I would like to see Scotsman in BR Green for at least 2 years and go back to LNER green (just to please some people)
Ansaw me this WHY HAS SCOTSMAN GOT THAT WHISTLE ON THE SIDE, WHY NOT AN A3 WHISTLE IN ITS CORRECT PLACE, THE NRM HAVE GOT A A3 WHISTLE?
Chris
Chris.Fernihough
Ben
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ben »

NRM has promised that the correct A3 whistle will be re-fitted during the current overhaul
ImageImage
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

SHUT IT ON THE LIVERY!!! (LNER by the way!)

As for the whistle, it is a well used bit of kit, and it deteriorates over the years, and had to be replaced with the South African one it had, but yeas, the real A3 one will go on when shes up and running again....that reminds me..must sort out last Thursday's photo...

I did well last Thursday.
8:00am left York Minster after sleeping there for the night (in the first Group of people ever to do so!)
8:20 got home.
9:55 waited at the NRM to take a pic of Flying Scotsman.
10:15 set off to London for the weekend!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
51L
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 51L »

OY i like Scotsman in BR, Scotsman been in LNER for years since preservation maybe once or twice in BR but thats it, its not been in BR for long enough, there is loads like me who would like it in BR 60103 NOT LNER 4472. ITS A MESS AS IT IS NOW!!!!!
Chris a BR Fan
Chris.Fernihough
VIC HALOM
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by VIC HALOM »

60103 for me.
German Blinkers, Double blast, B.R. Green!
Sunday diversions, Shildon water bridge, the cream came to us!
Ben
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ben »

51L wrote: ITS A MESS AS IT IS NOW!!!!!
Well it is half way through an overhaul, what do you expect? :lol:
ImageImage
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Regional liveries for all ex locos of the big four. If there is such a desire to paint everything in the BR liveries then there are enough ex BR standard designs to fulfill any brunswick green fetish. There are not enough examples of the pre ww2 or even pre grouping liveries, there are less and less people who can recall these locos as they looked in those halcion days so surely preservationists have a duty to show people the variety that existed. Especially the NRM.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I really liked seeing the Holden tank in GER blue when I visited the NRM last year. I may have been the only person that day to appreciate it, but it brought a smile to my face. Under appreciated engines, but it looked grand.

(as did the Bouch 'Long Boiler' in NER green)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Tom Quayle »

Again I think 60103 for 2 reasons I like BR green and It will proberbly be cheaper. I just with the GNR atlantic could be restored to working order although there is a project to new build a southern Ivatt atlantic which is basically the same
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

I like Flying Scotsman in any of the liveries she has carried.

For me it's the engine what matters, I think there is some merit in regular changes in livery as and when she needs repainting.

Even carrying those deflectors, her beauty still shines through, graceful, powerful and so elegant - the epitome of understated engineering refinement. :D
John B
51L
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 51L »

I would not mind if they change the liverys but please put it in BR for a while!
Chris.Fernihough