A dream of Steam

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

A Fantasist at Wikipedia wrote:There are plans to build 3 replicas of LNER P2s Numbers 2007 - 2009 the three never carried *Names are not yet mentioned until soon, for Preservtion, all 3 projects will begin *Construction at Doncaster *Works in a fewer years time
:roll: Pfft. Call me sceptical, but that sounds a bit Alice in Wonderland. I'd be (only slightly) more inclined to believe it if the Wiki contributor could spell, and string a sentence together.

I also notice that at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Thompson_Class_B2 there is an similarly-worded claim, that "There are plans to build a replica of An LNER Thompson B2 For Preservation in a fewer years to Ever come, the project will begin at Doncaster Works". And at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_A8, what do you know? "There are plans to bild a replica of AN LNER A8 Locomotive which will carrie a number which Was never carried /like some other LNER Classified Locomotives/ for preservation, The project Will begin construction at Doncaster works, South - Yorkshire".

The same site makes similar claims about builds of the A5, J39, U1 "Garratt", the V1/V3, K5, NER D20, and L1 (of which 19 will be constructed, apparently). I didn't search exhaustively, and would bet there are similarly authoritative announcements of other "plans" elsewhere on Wiki too. The job centre in Doncaster is going to be busy.

So I wish to announce to the world that I have "plans" to play as centre-forward for Newcastle United and score a hat-trick from the comfort of my sedan chair in next season's Champion's League final. Which will be played in Doncaster. 19 times. Glenn - if you're reading this, PM me. :wink:
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I agree - and this is the first I heard about it.
We need to go through the Wikipedia entries and question these claims - ask for a reference or something like that.

I did hear a rumour (let me emphasis the rumour!) that the Tornado group might consider a P2, but as we've discussed a few times on these forums, it would alas not be a very practical proposition.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

richard wrote:We need to go through the Wikipedia entries and question these claims.
I see they've now disappeared.

Ironically, there was no reference to the proposed (as opposed to planned) G5 and F-something-or-other replica builds.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Amazing what you can do with a bit of editing. :wink:
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Bullhead,

is this what you are looking for?

http://www.holdenf5.co.uk/

regards
Simon
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

Yes. And, having looked at the F5 website, it's obviously well beyond the "proposed" stage and into the realms of "planned". :D
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

x568wcn wrote:Amazing what you can do with a bit of editing
The pages for the NER "R" (D20), J38, J39, U1, V1, V3, K5 and L1 all need the same radical editorial treatment. But may we preserve the Wiki contributor's prediction (not to mention his/her unique literary style) concerning the L1 here before it is lost forever?

"There are plans to build a replica Of An LNER Thompson L1 Prototype Locomotive number 9100 Along with 19 Replicas Numbers 9101 - 9119 for Preservation which they will all begin Construction at Doncaster Works, South Yorkshire"

See for yourselves while you still can at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Thompson_Class_L1

Yes folks, that's a total of 20. Probably enough to operate the entire Glasgow North Bank suburban service, and certainly to make preserved Black 5s somehow interesting.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

it makes for interesting reading. that is really all it says if only it was true. i didn't know doncaster was still set up for steam loco construction. This 'author' really should contribute to the forum we could all learn so much.

hoho hoho hoho. i'm just off to fantasy steam land to take my turn at the controls of a brand new V4 loco i just had commisioned i know its true i read it on wikipedia.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Union of South Africa was the last Engine to be Overhauled at Doncaster, which was the last to be built there then??
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

x568wcn wrote:Union of South Africa was the last Engine to be Overhauled at Doncaster, which was the last to be built there then??
I dunno. 35 replicas of "Puffing Billy"?
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

As I'm getting more mickey mouse answers on here I found it for myself, it was
BR Class 4 76114 in 1957
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

x568wcn wrote:Which was the last engine to be built at Doncaster then??
They built class 58 diesel-electrics up until 1987, I think.
DK
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Dream of Steam

Post by DK »

Has to be the mighty A2/2 for me. A much maligned but majestic class.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Dream of Steam

Post by mick b »

DK wrote:Has to be the mighty A2/2 for me. A much maligned but majestic class.
here here !! A!/1 and A2/1 A2/3 as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have seen little evidence to back up the abuse thse classes recieve

Mick :roll: