A dream of Steam

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Dream Loco

Post by Bullhead »

cooperajn wrote:If you could only have one class of LNER locos to handle all passenger and freight, what would you choose?
Probably the V2.

I bought a couple of "Lucky Dip" tickets for the £89M rollover Euromillions Lottery draw last week. If I'd won (unsurprisingly, I didn't), I'd decided I'd spend some of my winnings on a new-build J39. And a new pedal bin for the kitchen, obviously.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

"ignoring issues like route availability" - so it comes down to a trade off between speed, reliability, adhesion, and grunt?

So if you allow non-LNER engines, a 9F is going to score rather well!

Yes I think your B16 might do well, but so would a V2. Reliability might be their only failing - but that was only if they weren't maintained.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Wandering1500
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Wandering1500 »

A Claud Hamilton in any form......

David
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

A Dream of steam

Post by John B »

Tony,

In response to your idea of a good mixed traffic LNER engine, I think there are three good contenders, the B1, the B16 and the V2.

Of all three I would probably go for the V2 followed by the B1 and then the B16. The V2 had the greatest tractive effort at 33,730lbs and with 6' 2" driving wheels would have a good turn of speed, the B1 had a tractive effort of 26,878lbs also with 6' 2" driving wheels, the B16 had a tractive effort of 30,031lbs with 5' 8" driving wheels.

I think that of the three the V2 is also the "hungriest" looking engine (like a greyhound waiting for the leash to be slipped and to show what it really could do).

I do have to admit however that I am exceedingly fond of the B1's

They were all good mixed traffic engines but I feel (though I stand to be corrected) that the V2 would have the edge in terms of speed.

If the route availability and economy of fuel consumption are not considerations then I think we have to allow for maintenance to be at a level for the engine to perform at it's very best with top quality coal being used and a Doncaster team firing and driving :wink:

Does anyone have any information on what the top speeds of these engines would have been in these optimum conditions?

Cheers
John B
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I'd like a second V2, like St Peters School, there were competitions in both The Sun and the Daily Mirror today, both offering you 100 tickets in the now £100 million draw, the sun had £10,000 worth, the Mirror £15,000 worth...don't seem to have won any though! :cry:

The problem with Green Arrow, is an odd one. When Scotsman was due to run this year, they said Green Arrow would be on stand by, and it wasn't even here, then it came back with this known weak problem, it ran once, and the cylinder went half way there! So they sort of did it their selves.
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
LNERandBR
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by LNERandBR »

What about a K3 for the Mixed traffic loco.

We allready have a V2, and 2 B1's.

A B16 would be nice though
By Stephen

Mad about the LNER, BR Eastern region in the 50's, Rail Blue Diesels and Sectorisation era.
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

John,

You asked about the performance of the V2s. O S Nock has a lot to say about them in "LNER Steam".

When they were first introduced in 1936, it was found that the V2 could be used on the same duties as the Pacifics then in use. Their work was practically indistinguishable from the A1/A3/A4 Pacifics.

A V2 could readily attain 90 mph with the crack express trains then running which was similar to the performance then being attained by the A3s. They were built for express goods however and they were the preferred engines for that duty.

So the answer for me would be a V2.

Colombo
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

My understanding from anecdotal reports (BR schedulers) was that a V2 with a Kylchap was indeed considered the equal of an A3.

If an A3 wasn't available for a particular service, they didn't sweat about substituting a V2 in its place - Kylchap or no.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
tommyd49
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by tommyd49 »

I would love to see a B17. A streamlined one especially. By the way, what was the usual upper speed that they travelled at?
lielestosbrat
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by lielestosbrat »

Firstly A quick hello, Im 21 and i've been kind of brought up on LNER and M&GN (from Bourne in Lincolnshire). Now I am already in the process of recreating a long lost LNER loco, and it is a favourite of mine. Unfortuantly I don't have the cash to make a real one so a digital train simulator one will have to surffice.

LNER P1.

I love these locos just for thier looks, and also I recently found out that 2 of my Great Grandfathers worked at New England Shed, Peterborough as loco drivers. So they may be a very small chance that one of them drove one of those 2 locos. I also intend to model many more LNER locos including the U1 Garratt, the only problem is getting hold of diagrams. For my P1 Model it is a bit of guess work. The boiler used is an LNER A1 that was sent to me, and I've based my dimentions of that. I also have a good feeling that it used the O2 motion and wheel arrangment at the front so I ahve used the spacings from that of a very basic diagram of I have of the Garratt. If I do find diagrams for this loco, I would of course re model her more accuratly.

Rob
LNERandBR
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by LNERandBR »

Could I ask which Simulator is that for?

Also do you know about UKTrainSim and if so have you thought about uploading your creation to its download libuary?

and when it is finished could you post up some screenshots of it in action?
By Stephen

Mad about the LNER, BR Eastern region in the 50's, Rail Blue Diesels and Sectorisation era.
lielestosbrat
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by lielestosbrat »

Its for the Trainz Railway Simulator 2004, Whens it finished it will be uploaded to my website and to Auran download station. Auran are the creators of Trainz Railway Simulator and have a free central upload/download area for content for the game. I will certainly post more screenshots as the loco progresses

Rob
Wandering1500
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Wandering1500 »

Its for the Trainz Railway Simulator 2004
:(

David
LNERandBR
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by LNERandBR »

Wandering1500 wrote:
Its for the Trainz Railway Simulator 2004
:(

David
my thoughts exactley

:( :(
By Stephen

Muzza
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Muzza »

Sorry to join this discussion so late.

My choice would have top be a P2.

A close second would be an A1 (Gresley) in GNR livery. I think it would look great as 1470.