A dream of Steam

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

As for the V2, my Dad, whilst on security last night at the York Youth Hostle, picked up a leaflet on the NRM's Giants of Steam, and I quote it by saying all the trains will be Hauled by 4471 Green Arrow.....

and on checking...the website also says this too!

http://www.nrm.org.uk/events/giantsofsteam.asp

Wooops! :oops:
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

A Dream of steam

Post by John B »

Richard,

You mentioned the Bulleid pacifics, I did another quick internet search and lo and behold there are 31 in preservation it's enough to make one spit but instead I'll settle for something more biblical "and there was much gnashing of teeth and renting of hair"

Eleven of these pacifics are of the Merchant Navy class and the remainder West Country/Battle of Britain class. Only three of all of these preserved Bulleid locomotives were not bought from Woodham Brothers at Barry.

I must say I have always had a rather grudging admiration for Bulleid, he was of course an LNER trained man :)

Yep, it looks like things are on the move with the Holden F5, this is great news, and they are eventually looking to turn out more than one - Hooray!? Any further news on the G5?? - things seem to have gone very quiet on that front.

As for the other locomotives, the Q6, Q7 and 8F you mentioned, then it is great to be able to add them to the list and look forward to seeing them running. I have a whistle pull off Q6 63366 and one of it's running lamps too (from inside the locomotives white headlamp)

I am hoping to get across to the UK later on this year and am so looking forward to seeing, hearing and smelling a bit of LNER Steam again.

Matt, I was glad to learn that those two Black fives are mainline certified, Isn't it something to think they can reach speeds of up to 90 mph??
There must be a good number of other locomotives that are now mainline certified, is there an up to date list of them anywhere??

By the way B1's and WD 2-8-0's used to make very large flat copper pennies after the locomotives had run over them :wink:

Cheers
John B
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Our Scouts used to go to Levisham Station on the NYMR, and do work, and at night slept in a carrige in the siding att he back (when I went I got to sleep in the front room of the house!)
Anyway, whilst messing around we did 5ps and I don't know what went over it, but it came out very flat. It was good fun as you couldn't go to bed until the last train had gone through (the diner) at 11:00+. And free rides on the railway with the Guard.

Anyway...
this is the list I refer to http://www.uksteam.info/tours/locos.htm
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

John: I think the G5 build is a commercial operation. So all hush-hush and rumours. It would be great if someone could find some concrete information.

I think they are seeing a similar preservation/commercial need as the F5 people, but with an NER profile :-)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Matt
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: A Dream of steam

Post by Matt »

John B wrote:
Matt, I was glad to learn that those two Black fives are mainline certified, Isn't it something to think they can reach speeds of up to 90 mph??
There must be a good number of other locomotives that are now mainline certified, is there an up to date list of them anywhere??
They probably could do 90mph, but I doubt there owners or Network Rail would be best pleased! 60 Mph limited, check
http://www.uksteam.info
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Agreed Matt,

But 45305 did once reach 90mph whilst in preservation on the east coast mainline to York after tyre turning at Thornaby on Tees when she ran with one coach on October 21st in 1987.

Cheers
John B
Andrew Craig-Bennett
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Andrew Craig-Bennett »

I'm very impressed with the F5 people.

Can I add another vote for a "Claud Holden" (D16) 4-4-0? Ideally, one in original condition, as the surviving B12 4-6-0 shows the late LNER condition of both classes rather well.

Oh, and I think it would be rather good fun to have a "single" in mainline condition, don't you? A P43, for me, but any of the others would be nice.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

An original Claud Hamilton would be a D14 - the D16 'Super Claud' was a GER development, although the first was completed by the LNER.

I guess there's the argument that a superheated Claud would have lower running costs...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Heresy I know, but I really do fancy another A3, or even three more, they were such fine and good looking engines. New build a fleet of three more plus FS, then you have a match with the four A4's - that would be really awesome 8)

We could purchase three Bulleid Pacifics :P , melt them down :P :P :twisted: and create some real engines :idea:
John B
Green Arrow
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Green Arrow »

Hello, I am new.

Yes, we could do that. We could also throw in a Black five or one of those Halls...

Anyway, I would try to do....and don't laugh at this one...a Raven A2. I reckon the Pacifics just needed a bit of modification to be just great on LNER trains.

On a smaller scale, I'd do a 4-4-2, maybe a Raven C7.

For the tank engines, a J83 or a proper J70 would be on the list.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The Atlantics faired poorly - both a C7 and a C11 should have been kept.

The J83 would be practical, but I think a J70 would be impractical with its governor. However if a suitable line could be found, I would think it would be a viable new-build project with lots of novelty value.

You know both a J70 and a C11 were put aside for preservation, but both ended up being scrapped!

For the A2: There are different accounts as to their reason for existence, but either way they were always going to be a dead-end development - to be replaced by Gresley Pacifics or Raven Electrics.
I think the C7 would be a better choice for a new-build project.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Green Arrow
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Green Arrow »

Yes, I guess they were a dead-end locomotive. Wasn't one re-built with a Gresley boiler?
Nice N2 I've got here. Probably send it to 'The Cross'.

Green Arrow,
Darlington Sig Shed
RSR Engineer
NER Y7 0-4-0T

A dream of steam

Post by RSR Engineer »

I'd go for the C7 as well. These were superbly elegant Edwardian machines with a good turn of speed.

As to what Matt said about a Black Five doing 90mph: In the 1950s my grandmother took me to Clacton for the day by train (from Liverpool St). We were pulled by a B1. On arrival, I asked the driver how fast we'd been going. He said, "Oh, about ninety." I took this with a pinch of salt, even at the tender age of nine.
RSR Engineer
sir visto
LNER N2 0-6-2T

A Dream of Steam

Post by sir visto »

A P2, definitely a P2. Beautiful machines that would bring in the general public, tourists and the media - as well as enthusiasts. All bringing in lots of money to keep the locomotive alive and well. A P2 with 14 on roaring up the Settle and Carlisle - now that's a dream !! (who cares that the line wasn't an LNE line)

Don
Cadiz
Better steam than CO
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I was pottering about on Wikipedia yesterday correcting things, and adding pages, and I found the P2 page, which I quote from;
There are plans to build 3 replicas of LNER P2s Numbers 2007 - 2009 the three never carried *Names are not yet mentioned until soon, for Preservtion, all 3 projects will begin *Construction at Doncaster *Works in a fewer years time,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_P2
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk