60009 In York Today

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

60009 In York Today

Post by x568wcn »

60009 came through York to darlington with the Tallisman today for the A1 Trust, and unusually came in on platform 5 right in the middle, and looked stunning to boot.

Anyway a bit ago I had decided to try and use my dictaphone to record then use as a mic in to the computer, which worked, so I tried it today, and not only did I get 6 mins 2 sec of Union Of South Africa coming in, and leaving, I also got several whistles numerous station anouncements and a major wheel slip!

The only problem is that as you all know, York Station makes a nice echo chaimber, and coupled with the 158 sat in the siding next to platform 2 behind me, it is a bit dodgy, but see what you think anyway.
http://www.yorksteam.co.uk/sounds/a4-60 ... lisman.mp3 Listen for the wheel slip around 4 mins 12!!

and the whistle http://www.yorksteam.co.uk/sounds/a4-60 ... histle.mp3

Sunning, but I wonder how many times it's sat on (the former) platform 9?
(Nearly, but not quite, as there was a bloke stood in the way!)
Whistle in full steam, just before the slip!!

Coupled with that, I now have 8F 48151, really chuffing round it's train!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Many's the time that I sat on the end of Platform 9 and watched a succession of northbound trains start away, usually with a hefty slip. The better drivers did not slip very much if at all. Apparently the trick was to apply the loco brakes first as it came to a standstill and then the train brakes, thus compressing the train buffers with the last bit of momentum stored in the train. On setting off, if the driver released the loco brakes first, and then the loco and the front half of the train would be propelled forward by the rear, and this made the loco's job much easier.

I read that on occasions a J72 might give a heavy train a push from the rear. Can anybody verify that?

You will have to work on your sound recording. Are you using one of those fluffy sock things round the mike? I think they cut down the background noise quite a bit, or was that just the wind noise? I have some good recordings in York Station made in about 1952 on a Videotape called This is York. I plan to put them on a tape loop and put a speaker inside my station model.

Colombo
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I'm not sure about J72s at York, but I think I read somewhere that N2s were used to give A4s a starting push out of Kings Cross in the days of the evacuee trains. These often had over 20 coaches...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Matt
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Matt »

Nice pics there, I caught it on the return, 40 down and on the Slow Line :(

http://www.nymr.fotopic.net/p34349071.html
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Great picture also, I've now added the full set to my site, (first update for a month and a day!)
http://www.yorksteam.co.uk/pages/a4-600 ... /index.asp
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Colombo wrote:Are you using one of those fluffy sock things round the mike? I think they cut down the background noise quite a bit, or was that just the wind noise?
Colombo
I just used the ickle mic on my digital dictaphone, it's just the nature of York, it makes a nice echo, compare these to the 8F 48151 that was on the very last St James' Day Tripper later on yesterday, and is heard here leaving from the bottom of the current platform 10 heading South, in the open air with no echoing using the same conditions, just not the roof!

http://www.yorksteam.co.uk/sounds/8f-48 ... -south.mp3

also if you missed it, here is 60009's celebratory whistle, then wheel slip!
http://www.yorksteam.co.uk/sounds/a4-60 ... a/slip.mp3
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Tom Quayle »

Te Hehe I was at colton Junction got 60009, 2 67s, 2 87s, 48151, 2 66s and 4 new desiros in 1 Hour :lol:
Then got Ivatt tank at Haworth and 67s at Hellifeild on way home
Sunday nearly as good 30777 on Shap (stopped near the summit) 40 early
then got it at Horton and Long Preston :lol:
I hope I have as much fun this coming weekend (NYMR gala)
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

I picked up the 2 87s, but only just, as after 60009 left, I went accross from p3 to p9 to get one of the new 185s, then as soon as I had that picture, the 2 87s came out from behind, and only just got them taken as they were leaving!
Attachments
87-022-1123-230906-40%.JPG
(84.41 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
87-028-1124-230906-40%.JPG
(74.45 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
51L
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 51L »

I seen no9 at Darlington as it whistled its way in slowley (very), the people it was packed u couldnt move,
Once the A4 when to North Road to turn (i think) i was off to OXBRIDGE TRIANGLE where at least 5 people gave up waiting and one idiot said "i have my doubts it wont come and turn here it will go to eaglescliffe like 30777 did on 19th august" and he left, come 2.30pm it came and i got a great shot then i rushed to allens west where no9 speeded and whistled past tender forst, another great shot!!!
I went on a bridge (motorway) to see if it was a good shot it was not bad but the wires, anyway i caught it going out on the bridge and i ran over the other side to c if i could get another pic and i saw cars, people all by the lineside down from the bridge, IM GOING THERE NEXT TIME!!
Chris.Fernihough
Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Tom Quayle »

I was the only one at Colton Junction lol. Great film as well. Got the 87s crossing a FL66 and 158 all in 1 shot :lol: Fluck!!!. I hope the luck contiues lol. Cannot wait for 55022 on the ECML and there is of course 2 50s to leeds via Hellifeild coming up lol.
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.