GCR 8K / LNER O4 ROD

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

lielestosbrat
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

GCR 8K / LNER O4 ROD

Post by lielestosbrat »

I have been working away on a computer model of a GCR 8k and have been wondering what sort of livery it would have carried when ran by the GCR. I have a B&W picture of an 8k and it looks like it was decked out in GCR green, like Butler Henderson currently is. Would this have been standard for all the locos? Secondly I'm also wondering about early LNER livery's. Would the loco have carried Black with red linning or just plan black as seen on later LNER freight engines? Also am I correct in thinking that the class would have Had the wording L & NER on the tender along with the number along with LNER and the number in the early years.

GCR 8k pic1
GCR 8k pic2

Rob
rorz101uk
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by rorz101uk »

love the model mate, i might be firing it this weekend!!! I have you have build it for MSTS because that would make a great model!

could you put your picture of it on the Net, as for the LNER, i think it was just black but not sure about the writing tho!
Thanks
Rory Capell
GCR:- Fireman
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

According to my Yeadon (the first volume) they carried the GCR lined black freight livery when first built. They may have been unlined during WW I. LNER livery was lined black (lined with a single red line) until about 1928 when all freight locos went unlined black. BR livery appears to have been unlined filth.
Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Tom Quayle »

Great model

GCR-lined Black
LNER-unlined Black
BR-early and late crests black
They ran as a WW1 austerity design, there may be more liveries there and I think the GWR got hold of a few, in that case I take a cue from liveries applied to 28** 2-8-0s
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
bw1165
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by bw1165 »

The GC style was definitely black, lined red and white. The livery is actually quite hard to put into words without an A4 drawing and sketches!

There were some GC goods engines in green in the very early years of the GC, but it was a very sickly sort of green, not the later Brunswick. It was Robinson (appointed 1900ish) who introduced the lined black livery.

GC livery issues are complex, and this is cutting to the chase, but generally, in the Robinson era, passenger engines were green, goods engines black.