Guess the class

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

I am thinking of a locomotive that was an ancient and unique survivor in 1923, although there is a similar machine around today.

It received an elementary rebuilding in the year Pierre and Marie won a
prize.

It's original running number and its allocated LNER number both look binomial, and if so, add up to 11110.

Sounds like you need to clean your plimsols.

Have you got the key?

Colombo
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Is it possibly The Wilson Worsdell X2 the last of an ancient kind 'singles' rebuild in 1903 the year the curies won the nobel prize. Not sure about the number though?
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

The X2, Aerolite, still exists. I don't believe this does.

I haven't worked all of it out but I believe Colombo is referring to the Wheatley 0-4-0 tender engine (rebuilt Holmes, 1903). NBR number 1011 (binary 11) it then became 10011 (binary 19) - giving 11110 (binary 30).

The obvious surviving 0-4-0 tender engine is Locomotion though I'm sure there are others.

I didn't get the Plimsol reference, though.
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Well you have seen through some of my clues.

CVR is right about the Curies winning the Nobel Prize in 1903 and JW has got the binomial maths right and so has guessed the locomotive. So you both deserve an accolade for your scientific knowledge.

A Furness 0-4-0 tender engine was recently restored to it's original condition having been rebuilt into a saddle tank a very long time ago and which somehow survived on an adventure playground after withdrawal.

Can anybody solve my third and fourth clue, and can you detect what was elementary about the rebuild?

Meanwhile, in all fairness JW should be thinking about another class.

Colombo
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

The 'elementary' rebuild was the one by Holmes, I assume (should have been more explicit in my original answer). And 'Y10', presumably, is 'whiten'. (Groan). I'm sure mine were black when I was at school.

If anyone else would like a go after Colombo's outstanding clues have been completed, I'm happy to stand aside, otherwise there may be another hiatus.
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

I think that it looks like the prototype for the tender locos in Hornby's O Gauge clockwork train sets, hence the key reference.

Well that was easy.

(Sits back to wait for the next one)

Colombo
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

As we're back to me and I haven't thought of anything terribly clever, how about this (specific locomotive, not a class):

Which paternal friend was removed from his locomotive for fear of Imperial displeasure and spent forty years behind a cupboard, only seeing the light when the uppermost cabin was brought down?
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

JW,

Paternal Friend?

"My Father knew Lloyd George"...a famous saying, and accorded to everybody in Wales.

The GCR Class B3 loco, no. 1167 was so called. Her Imperial Majesty, Queen Mary, could not stand the gentleman and insisted that the nameplates should be removed. They were, but only after it had pulled the Harrogate Pullman to Leeds with her carriages attached, on 2nd August 1923.

I suppose that they were hidden behind a cupboard and only found when Top Shed was demolished.

Colombo
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

We're a pair of smarty-trousers, you and me, aren't we Colombo?

To avoid the danger of this turning into a two-way conversation, would anyone else like a go?
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

jwealleans wrote:Would anyone else like a go?
OK, I'll give it a whirl - Elkie Brooks song meets Ronaldo.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Is this a class or a single locomotive?
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

A single locomotive. Not the Single, mind. Although Elkie Brooks released the song in question as a single.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Johnathan,

I have followed all these clues with much interest but alas, with moving house in the next two weeks my immediate focus is elsewhere.

I hope to become involved again some time after Christmas, though by then I shall have begun to play with some real steam engines at Glenbrook. Look here at the video/photo page :D

http://www.railfan.org.nz/

Cheers
John B
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Bullhead, I think I have it. Assuming you mean Cristiano Ronaldo and not the rotund Brazilian?

Fergie would be menacing you with the hairdryer if he read this thread.
Colombo

Post by Colombo »

Please forgive me for my enthusiasm. (Too much time on my hands and plenty of reference books).

This clue may by linked to football, so I will go into hiding. I am totally ignorant of anything to do with sport of almost any kind. Since I can no longer watch the Ashes on terrestial TV, I am losing interest in Test cricket.

Colombo