Sir Nigel - Whitby?

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Sir Nigel - Whitby?

Post by x568wcn »

Hope you can settle me right!

I'm a Cub Scout Leader and on Monday we had a conversation of what did you do durring Half Term.

And our other Leader Judy went to Staithes above Whitby, and on the way back she says she saw Sir Nigel Gresley complete with Wizzard Express headboard coming back from Whitby.

Now;
A) I can't find anything on Uk steam of it doing Whitby
B) NYMR Site says you have to change at Grosmont to go to Whitby
C) Our Scout Group chairman has a boat house in Whitby, which is 1/3 - 1 mile along a narrow path between the railway and the river esk, and I spent a weekend there in June. I know Sir Nigel wouldn't go down there, as it's too heavy right!

Go on set me right here!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Ben
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ben »

Well for a start Sir Nigel Gresley currently does not have TWPS and is not Main line registered, so it could not have been Sir Nigel that she saw, the only loco on the NYMR that is currently able to run the Whitby specials is 62005
ImageImage
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Has 76079 left the railway, then? That was working them when I was last there.

You're quite right about Sir Nigel, though.

I know Roger Barker reasonably well - I'll ask him about the 'Wizzard Express' when I see him.
Ben
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ben »

76079 left a while back after it suffered a derailment at Grosmont, one of the axles on the tender was damaged, and so Ian Riley chose to withdraw her for overhaul apporximatly a month early. 76079 is now stripped ready for a boiler lift at Ian Riley's locomotive works in Bury, with an overhaul expected to take 4 - 5 months
ImageImage
sir-nigel
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by sir-nigel »

Ben wrote:Well for a start Sir Nigel Gresley currently does not have TWPS and is not Main line registered, so it could not have been Sir Nigel that she saw, the only loco on the NYMR that is currently able to run the Whitby specials is 62005
Plus SNG is too heavy for some of the bridges down to Whitby.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Sir Nigel - Whitby?

Post by x568wcn »

x568wcn wrote:
C) Our Scout Group chairman has a boat house in Whitby, which is 1/3 - 1 mile along a narrow path between the railway and the river esk, and I spent a weekend there in June. I know Sir Nigel wouldn't go down there, as it's too heavy right!
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Tom Quayle »

Heaviest loco to reach Whitby in recent time would be 8f 48151 or maybe Class 40 40145
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Further to this, on monday she brought the picture (massive picture, ok if you've an A3 printer!) and said it was between Grosmont and Gothland, and still says it was coming back from Whitby!
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk