LNER engine Number 7221

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Fred
NER Y7 0-4-0T

LNER engine Number 7221

Post by Fred »

I have recently acquired a postcard of this engine. From the information I have been able to find I believe it may be a Holden F5. Is anyone able to confirm this for me and has anyone any idea where it was based. Any information would be gratefully received. Many thanks,
Fred
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Do you have a date for the picture? My sources (RCTS Locomotives of the LNER Part 7), list two 2-4-2T locomotives that bore this number.

F6 No. 7062 received the number No. 7221 in October 1946 and was given the BR No. 67221 in December 1949. Condensing gear was fitted but removed in 1937 - i.e. before it bore the number '7221'.

F4 No. 7221 had condensing gear at Grouping (1923), and was withdrawn in June 1934 (apparently with the condensing gear intact).

The F4 was very similar to the F5. In-fact, the F5 was a rebuild of the F4 with a higher pressure boiler.

Both the F4 and F6 locomotives were inherited from the Great Eastern Railway. So both would have been found in East Anglia and in the case of the F4s, suburban services to London. Later in their lives they would have been found on lesser branch lines, and some of the F4s even made it to Scotland during LNER ownership!

Further engine history could be found from the relevent volume of "Yeadons". Alas I don't have the volume(s) for the 2-4-2Ts.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Fred
NER Y7 0-4-0T

LNER engine 7221

Post by Fred »

Thanks for the information.
The picture I have of this engine is a postcard sized photograph and judging by its condition it is probably post WW2.
I have added an attachment with a picture of 7221 which may help in identification.
Any further info would be gratefully received.
Attachments
7221.jpg
(367.88 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
Fred
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Fred

i'm going to have to go with the F4. It's def not a F6 though, wrong shape and the vacuum feed pipe is above not below the handrail, below for the F6, however the F4/5 has a close railed top to its bunker so that makes it look like the 4. In additon the livery appears to be lined black which tended to die out after the 30's and would probably have been an all black livery from post war renumbering, should it be the F6 that richard mentioned taking over the number in 1946. I don't have the relevent Yeadons either so i can't help you out with sheds

hope that helps you
Simon
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Also that pipe into the top of the tank looks like it might be a part of the condensing gear?

(the F6 with this number lost its condensing gear before it received the number)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia