King's Cross Outer Suburban sets 1937

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: King's Cross Outer Suburban sets 1937

Post by jwealleans »

I commented on RMWeb, but not here. The BT(6) is a cut and shut if you look carefully.

I think the OP would be better of making them back into two carriages and even then I'm not sure how many all 1sts ran in the GE area.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Jonathan,

I did not look closely at the photo until you pointed out the rather obvious goings on at the brake end.

Was the original model a full Third perhaps?

My assumption of being 'creative' was perhaps generous, given the considerably less-than-perfect finish.

It is odd, I would look much more closely at a prototype photo than I ever do at one of a model. A behaviour I should correct.

John
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

jwealleans wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:51 pm I commented on RMWeb, but not here. The BT(6) is a cut and shut if you look carefully.

I think the OP would be better of making them back into two carriages and even then I'm not sure how many all 1sts ran in the GE area.
JW - see this data sheet under the Rolling Stock section off the Home page: https://d240vprofozpi.cloudfront.net/st ... tFirst.pdf

Other Gresley NV coaching stock as modelled by Hornby also described: https://www.lner.info/stock/carriages/local.php

The GE Section did end up with several Twin-Arts, hand-me-downs from other Sections/Areas, most likely post-war as the Thompson stock was introduced. Only sources are the various photo albums; e.g. ISTR one Twin spent time on the Aldeburgh Branch.
Norton Wood
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Norton Wood »

WTTReprinter wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:04 am I don't believe the GE had any 'twins'
The articulated sets on the GE were 'Quads' for outer suburban work (Hertford & Stortford) and 'Quints' for inner suburbans (Enfield, Chingford and Woolwich - Palace Gates)
The twins tended be used on the Western Division, and elsewhere.
Thank you, yes I read up on this after your reply, I've also had to work on getting LNER 52'6 for my LNER GE layout as 61'6 as I understand wasn't common or used on the GE section.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Mile End Park wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:44 am I've also had to work on getting LNER 52'6 for my LNER GE layout as 61'6 as I understand wasn't common or used on the GE section.
The 52' 6" vestibuled stock was more common on the GE Section but there very definitely was standard 61' 6" vestibule stock - indeed the very first vestibuled stock delivered to the GE Section was of 61' 6" length for the Continental Boat Train sets.

As an approximation, passenger-carrying and catering coaching stock known to be constructed for the GE Section was in the following proportions:

61' 6" vestibuled = 171
52' 6" vestibuled = 57 to NER designs + 588
54' 0" non-vestibuled (Ilford stock) = 96
51' 1.5" non-vestibuled = 251 + 118 pre-war steel-panelled
Quin-Arts (Enfield Town & Chingford) = 74
Quad-Arts (Hertford & Bishops Stortford) = 12

After Coaching Rolling Stock came under Central Control and the new numbering scheme applied, allocations to individual Areas or Sections became much harder to determine, so the above figures effectively refer to the Gresley-designed types.
Norton Wood
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Norton Wood »

65447 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:36 pm
Mile End Park wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:44 am I've also had to work on getting LNER 52'6 for my LNER GE layout as 61'6 as I understand wasn't common or used on the GE section.
The 52' 6" vestibuled stock was more common on the GE Section but there very definitely was standard 61' 6" vestibule stock - indeed the very first vestibuled stock delivered to the GE Section was of 61' 6" length for the Continental Boat Train sets.

As an approximation, passenger-carrying and catering coaching stock known to be constructed for the GE Section was in the following proportions:

61' 6" vestibuled = 171
52' 6" vestibuled = 57 to NER designs + 588
54' 0" non-vestibuled (Ilford stock) = 96
51' 1.5" non-vestibuled = 251 + 118 pre-war steel-panelled
Quin-Arts (Enfield Town & Chingford) = 74
Quad-Arts (Hertford & Bishops Stortford) = 12

After Coaching Rolling Stock came under Central Control and the new numbering scheme applied, allocations to individual Areas or Sections became much harder to determine, so the above figures effectively refer to the Gresley-designed types.

Thank you very much, Well that means I can mix the 52'6 and 61'6 together which looking through Steve Bank's book it seems all but veery common to see it happening now it's a job finding out the kind of LNER service which ran from Cambridge to Liverpool St, I've been looking through a number of books ( Steve Banks - LNER passenger trains & formations) sadly there's no mention of the services from Cambridge to Liverpool St.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Try Robert Carroll's BR Carriage Workings group which has been mentioned a number of times on this forum.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Mile End Park wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:01 pm Thank you very much, Well that means I can mix the 52'6 and 61'6 together which looking through Steve Bank's book it seems all but veery common to see it happening now it's a job finding out the kind of LNER service which ran from Cambridge to Liverpool St, I've been looking through a number of books ( Steve Banks - LNER passenger trains & formations) sadly there's no mention of the services from Cambridge to Liverpool St.
Therein lies the rub, for it is the second volume of LNER Passengers Trains and Formations that is allegedly to cover such workings and we all know that is currently 'wonderware'.

The GER Society and LNER Society both have a selection of Carriage workings, the GERS ones being listed here:

https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php ... ising-them

with these two in particular being relevant:

https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php ... ember-1953

https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php ... ummer-1957

After registration on the site, at £1.50 each payable on-line and immediately downloadable, much more useful and immeasurably cheaper and more specific than LNER Trains & Formations Part Two 8)
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

jwealleans wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:01 pm Try Robert Carroll's BR Carriage Workings group which has been mentioned a number of times on this forum.
It's actually BR Coaching Stock and the sign-up link is here: https://brcoachingstock.groups.io/g/main

Robert is a member of this Forum and the OP of this thread.