Loco type ident please

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Ptarmigan
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Ptarmigan »

Oh yes indeed, I'm not averse to a bit of imagination ! :)

But would it need imagination, might they have appeared on the line or in the shed yet shedded elsewhere ?

I didn't raise it earlier when you listed the classes at Canal shed, cos my memory is fallible and I didnt want to look foolish !, but I seem to remember seeing a Mallard type* loco (later I learned that they were class A4 ) there but I may have totally the wrong time&place :(

* but not Mallard itself I think deffo would have remembered that !
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Malcolm,

It is quite possible that you may have seen an A4 on shed at Carlisle (Canal). There were plenty at Edinburgh and Gateshead that could have worked over to Carlisle if the shed Foreman had one spare. I can't imagine that it would have got to Silloth though.

There were also several A3s, like Flying Scotsman, shedded at Carlisle.

Colombo
Ptarmigan
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Ptarmigan »

Colombo wrote:I can't imagine that it would have got to Silloth though.
Oh no, sorry, when I said "there" I was meaning Canal shed !
(which was actually quite a way outside Carlisle, or atleast it seemed so to a wee lad on a bike !) )
Ptarmigan
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Ptarmigan »

Well well, it seems that quite a few A4 visited Canal shed from time to time (but Ive not yet found a record for mallard being there !)
and considering that the Carlisle-Silloth line ran alongside (but a bit lower than) the Canal site,,
the imagination can run riot for co-located model baseboards ;)

all I lack now is a diagram for the Canal Junction !