GCR L9 (LNER C14) 4-4-0 T Roof BOLTS !!!

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Ian Armstrong
NER Y7 0-4-0T

GCR L9 (LNER C14) 4-4-0 T Roof BOLTS !!!

Post by Ian Armstrong »

:?:

We have an Ace Kit for a GCR L9 (LNER C14) I say we I own the kit and friend Martin (CME to my Railway) is building it for me, Quite a challenge not a biginners kit in "O" Gauge. Final picture destined for this webb Site ( I Hope)

Martin thinks there may have been holding down bolts on the four corners of the cab roof like finial seem to apear on some photographs,
has anyone any ideas on this subject. We are building to as built era.

Many thanks Ian :)
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Hello Ian,

I feel as if I've been building this kit as well - Martin gives me a detailed breakdown of its' faults every Monday evening. Rather him than me. I hope it's worth it when it's done. It is an ACE kit, then? Martin wasn't sure and ACE doesn't list it on his website.

I've just consulted Robinson Locomotives by Haresnape/Rowledge and there are certainly fixing bolts in each corner. One or two photos in GCR days appear to show them with little finials on top but by LNER/BR days they seem to be plain bolts.

Tell Martin I'll bring the book along on Monday and show him.

Jonathan
Last edited by jwealleans on Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

There is alocomotive illustrated magazine on the c13 & c14 tanks. It has some great shots of these locos in as built condition as well as much later ones. It looks as though there are some bolts as you suggested. Have youtried Issinglass drawings they are in my experience pretty accurate.

What is the C14 like I would like one too. I have a K2 and J6 by Ace and am aware of some shorthcomings. The chassis spacers are only half inch wide flat etched brass and barely hold the thing together. There are only two on the J6. A bit dodgy to say the least and a lot of extra stiffening and spacers was needed to get the thing straight
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

This ought to be in the Model Railways thread really, but what you describe tallies with what Martin has told me about the C14. He has also mentioned etched lines on the wrong side of folds (so they snap as soon as you make them), chassis 1/8" too long for the body, numerous missing parts and a number of parts which are obviously meant for the C13 and haven't been adapted for the C14. The brass is as you say very thin and only just adequate.

I gather he has been in touch with the manufacturer and advised him of the shortcomings. I haven't yet seen the model but am looking forward to examining it in person.
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

Its interesting that you say the etches are too thin. Both the K2 and J6 have very thick etchings. Is the kit an old Mcgowan one or has Ace sourced it from elsewhere?
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

Just to add the body is very rigid the chassis is the flimsy part
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

It doesn't sound as if your experience has been the same as Martin's. His comment to me this week was that he thought his kit had been put together from other kits or odd bits as the two main etches were in very dissimiliar condition - one was quite bright but the other looked tarnished as if ti were much older. He did say that the body (he has built footplate and valances but not yet added the boiler) is very floppy - hence his comment about the brass being thin.

I don't know what the history of the kit is - did McGowan do etched 7 mm kits? The etches are dated 1991, I believe, so it is an old kit. It may be one he's acquired. I know he bought up McGowan, so if it was in their range then that's almost certainly where it's from.
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

Both the J6 and K2 have Mcgowan models written on the instructions and etches. The J6 Tender underframe etches where marked LBSCR Atlantic! so there is definitly some mix and match going on in this range. I assumed to save on development costs. The LBSCR atlantics where basically copies of the GNR large atlantic withc a different tender body and cab. the kit was brand new and a number of tender etches where missing and extra etches not requiered from the Atlantic where included.

The K2 was bought second hand and strangely had totally different etches for the tender which in reality is exactly the same version. which seems to defeat the object of mix and match to save development costs. Ace have a number of new kits out for various pacifics which are totally new models. I have heard mixed reviews of these. I think its a case of look before you buy as the range is so varied