(6)1306 Mayflower.

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

51L
LNER N2 0-6-2T

(6)1306 Mayflower.

Post by 51L »

:) I see mayflower is going in BR next year, if you go on to NVR website go on special events and 60's weekend it says @Running as BR(E) 61306!
WOW :lol: 8)
im going
It is April 28th and 29th i think.
First time 1306 has been in BR since leaving BR.
Chris.Fernihough
Ben
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ben »

She will be appearing in this livery for the one weekend only, so its well worh a visit!
ImageImage
51L
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 51L »

i cant wait!
im going down!
Ben :o its me chris!!!
Chris.Fernihough
Ben
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ben »

Hi chris! Maybe I'll see you there then, I wouldnt miss this gala for anything, 1306 is probably my favorite LNER loco. As you may have noted from my avatar!

This is also a good oportunity to see the NVR without anything continental running, not even the continental coaches!

Other highlights will be:

Brakedown train, consisting of A steam crane and some box wagons
Turntable demonstrations, for added interest between trains
and
A visiting class 20 diesel plus a mystery guest, I'm hoping for something LMS or LNER in a BR guise

Double heading is also planned!!

So overall, a good event, not one to be missed!!!! Especially if you are a B1 fan!!!
ImageImage
Ben
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Ben »

The guest has been announced as S&D 7F 53809, which happens to be an old shedmate of 73050 from when that was also based on the S&D! Maybe a double header is in order with a Pines Express Headboard?
ImageImage
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Green Arrow is due to leave York for the NVR on Friday 3rd March
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Due to go, but she didn't, and is still here in the loco prep area.
And a couple of young kids with their parents saying it's flying scotsman (well you can only really see the back) then pointing to stirling single and asking if it's a little flying scotsman!
Green I guess.
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Green Arrow
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Green Arrow »

"Discraceful!" huffed Gordon. :D
Nice N2 I've got here. Probably send it to 'The Cross'.

Green Arrow,
Darlington Sig Shed
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

Green Arrow was out on the mainline last Saturday. She went through a red light on the approach to Marsh Junction in Grimsby. She was only running at slow speed but as the points where against her she could have ended up in the river or my back garden! According to reports she was only stopped when the signalman in the box at the junction noticed what was happening and ran down the line and flagged the train down.
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

Seems a strange report though as all locos on the mainline need TPS and AWS which would have applied the brakes on passing a signal at danger
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

TPWS is not designed to prevent SPADs - it is designed to minimise their consequence by stopping the erring train before the conflict point. Remember, too, that not all signals are fitted with TPWS - if this one had trapping protection, TPWS would be superfluous anyway: dumping a train on the ballast, though inconvenient, is a pretty effective way of stopping it running into another train.

And if a driver cancels an AWS indication on the approach to a danger aspect, the brakes won't apply.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

You are correct on the TPS/AWS situation. The line is a little used freight line which runs at 90 degrees to the main cleethorpes to Doncaster line and probably doesnt have TPS. It sweeps round a sharp curve and then connects to the mainline via a set of points. I dont think there are any trapper points. If the train was allowed to carry on it would have derailed on these points and blocked the entire mainline which has a 60 limit. A Nasty accident could have accured.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

61650GTFC wrote:The line sweeps round a sharp curve and then connects to the mainline via a set of points. I dont think there are any trapper points.
If the signal which was passed at danger was a main aspect signal and protects a junction conflict, I'd have though that - if alternative protection such as trapping isn't provided - TPWS would have been installed.
61650GTFC wrote:If the train was allowed to carry on it would have derailed on these points.
Not necessarily. I presume from your description that there is a trailing (i.e., converging) connection, which was set against the movement in question. In this case the points would have been "run through" and damaged but, as long as the driver didn't then try to set back, this wouldn't automatically lead to a derailment.

Do you know why the signal concerned was at danger? Had another, conflicting, route been set? Or was some sort of technical problem preventing the signaller from clearing it?
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
61650GTFC
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by 61650GTFC »

Your description of the track layout is correct. Allthough I didnt see the incident I am told it happened at about 13:30. If the time is correct the train must have been held up for a conflicting route. Two passenger trains pass over the junction in the opposite direction (on the up main line to cleethorpes) in quick succession at that time. The line which converges and green arrow was on would have taken the train onto the opposing down line after crossing this up line. This spur is very little used and was used up until a few years ago for imported steel in immingham. Now EWS seem to just dump wagons in the sidings there.

If anyone asks I have got the up and down line terminology correct. As the closed Lincolnshire line was the main route to London you now travel away from london on the up line as opposed to the normal way of travelling to London on the Up line. Confusing!