Group standard tenders

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Jeremy Hunns
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Group standard tenders

Post by Jeremy Hunns »

Can anyone confirm if the group standard tender, especially as fitted to the B1's had a fire iron 'tunnel' located in the tender. If so, any information on dimensions and location would be very much appreciated. Than you.
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 45609 »

Hi Jeremy,

The final variants of the GS tender (as fitted to B1's and K1's) did have a fire iron tunnel running the full length of the coal space. It was located on the left side of the coal space when viewed from the rear of the tender which is a little unusual as this is the driver's side in the case of the B1 and K1.

I'm afraid I don't have precise dimensions or drawings of the fire iron tunnel arrangement but I can suggest a source of the info. John Edgson (aka Isinglass Drawings) does a large range of 4mm and 7mm scale drawings of LNER locos. I'm sure he will have the info you need. Here is the website link...

http://www.edgson.net/isinglass/

Best regards,
Morgan