Presentation of BR built LNER locos

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Presentation of BR built LNER locos

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

I note that there has been a fair bit of discussion on how preserved locos should be presented - liveries, modifications etc.

Following a 'purist' line, this surely means that B1 61306 (built April 1948) and K1 62005 (built June 1949) should always appear in BR livery. I note that (6)1306 often appears in LNER apple green livery.

I don't know whether locos completed on or about 1 January 1948 were turned out in LNER, LMS, etc liveries - does anyone know the answer to this. Did they initially carry transitional numbers - E1306, etc?

Also, what about Blue Peter? According to British Steam Locomotives, she wasn't built until March 1948, but appears to have been allocated an LNER number (532). Was this in fact E532?
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

BR blue wasn't applied until 49/50. There was initially trials with the purple livery, never seen it myself wonder what it looked like, those that didn't recieve it stayed in grouping livery.

The renumbering happened as loco's went through the works so in 48 new builds appeared with LNER numbers and livery initially so Blue Peter probably did too. Not all locos got 'E', Mallard was particuarly badly treated over renumbering and changing back from black post war.

Blue Peter could appear in Apple Green with its LNER number and no 'E', i din't know about the B1 and did wonder to that effect myself as to why it got LNER number and livery when it is infact a BR engine. It would appear that loco owners today will use an amount of artistic licence to the livery they apply, does any thompson loco really deserve to wear the Apple green of Gresley and Peppercorn? (only joking) Generally taking the fashion of the time into account, and sadly it would appear that the fashion today is to paint everything in BR livery, the worst offence is to cover loco's like the B12 in black, resplendent in apple green, or dull in BR black. Its all a matter of taste, and what ever the colour little of their majesty is lost, really.

regards
Simon
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

Longworth shows that both Blue Peter and 61306 were allocated BR numbers on building.

Blue Peter appears to have been the first A2 to get a BR number, even though it was completed well into 1948.

I've always understood that the BR numbering sequence wasn't finalised until the second half of 1948. From photos I have seen of otherwise grimy locos with transitional numbers, I'd say that they were painted on at sheds as well as at works. (There is one classic of a WC or BB bearing both its transitional number (on the cab) and its old SR number on the buffer beam!

Taking into account the comments about liveries, would it be reasonable to assume that Blue Peter appeared in BR blue with the number E532 and that 61306 appeared in BR lined black with the number E1306?
cooperajn
GNR J52 0-6-0T

BR built LNER locos

Post by cooperajn »

I believe both came out in apple green with BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tenders.
And with BR numbers, but probably without smokebox number plates.

TonyC
Ben
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: BR built LNER locos

Post by Ben »

cooperajn wrote:I believe both came out in apple green with BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tenders.
And with BR numbers, but probably without smokebox number plates.

TonyC
This was certainly the case for 1306, however she has only ever carried LNER apple green in preservation. She will carry the BR transitional version (with BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender and 61306 on the cabside) at the Nene Valley railway's 1960s gala this year, but for the gala weekend only. This is a rare opportunity to see her in her original guise, so get down to the NVR!!! :D
ImageImage