Willie Yeadon query

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Willie Yeadon query

Post by John B »

I was wondering if anyone on here knows the state of play on the production of the Yeadon series on LNER locomotives.

I know that there are 36 books so far in the series, an index and (possibly) two separate but related books on the LNER allocations for 1923 and 1947.

Are there any further books due to be published in the series, I seem to remember reading somewhere that further volumes were still to be published, can anyone please confirm or deny this?

My house move is now completed and life is gradually returning to normal, I can also expect to start being involved in the forum again, oh frabjous day!?!?!?

Oh! yes! I managed to spend over three joyous hours on the footplate of NZR 1250, a powerful 4-8-2, we trogged up and down the line and with a 1 in 42 gradient and five carriages in tow she got a chance to open up :D

Cheers
John B
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

John,
They're still being churned out,I'm not sure whats due next,I have had them as a standing order since the start from MCP/Ian Allen who provide a good service.I've never quite understood the logic behind the series numbering which started with the A1/A3's,but now seems to dart from class to class at random!I gather they are already reprinting some of the early editions,so they must be a success story and I imagine they will get the whole lot complete eventually.A great resource,especially for model buffs like myself!
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Rob, thanks for that information.

I was originally toying with the idea of buying the whole series at once but it does not end with the purchase price, there's mail charges of £135.00, then import duty, then an import transaction fee (goods over NZ $1000)and then 12.5% of the value for GST (equivalent to the UK's VAT).

I have decided to buy incrementally so spreading the pleasure of building the collection over a period of time.

I have also recently seen volume 38 for sale here:

http://www.mdsbooks.co.uk/results.html?sort=&move=30

They seem to have most volumes in stock and it is fairly certain that other volumes are in preparation too.
John B
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

The NRM has 41 at least, and they are old, as the dust jackets are a little tatty!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I think I saw 41 listed on the Mainly Trains website yesterday - all Challenger rather than Irwell.

In the next few months I might put in an order for paint (they seem to be the only place who will ship paint internationally!) and might add a volume or two.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
cooperajn
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by cooperajn »

Published by "booklaw.co.uk", in Nottingham, where they also have a shop.
They do a 15% off voucher with each title purchased, which I presume applies to overseas
41 have been published, the next two will be NB 4-4-0s and NE tanks, after which I think it is mainly J classes.
They usually have stock with very minor damage at about two thirds cost

TonyC
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Tony,

Thanks for that, I have just accessed the Booklaw website and lo and behold I found this under the upcoming products column:

Yeadon LNER Register Vol 43 North Eastern 0-6-0 Tanks J71 To J80 Expected release date is 09/08/2007.

Willie's legacy is at least equal to Tostoy's War and Peace - it never seems to end, thank goodness :D
John B