Speed Machines

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Speed Machines

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

The episode dealing with the LNER-LMS rivalry in the 1930s was shown here tonight on the ABC. Perhaps this should be included in the 'At the Movies' list?

Lots of footage of A4s (of course), some A1/A3s and miscellaneous classes, such as N2s. Also a brief front-on of what appears to be a NE Atlantic. And electric 27000.

I wonder what would have happened if WWII hadn't intervened? My guess is that the LNER would have started electrification of the ECML by 1950. I don't think the top link services would have got any faster, but perhaps there would have been a general quickening up of all express services.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

It sounds more like a documentary, which I've been keeping away from. The Movie section is more fiction / fictionalised.

It may well have started ECML electrification, but I think it would have been later than the 1950s. Even without WW2, the LNER was financially strapped. No WW2 would have resulted in an earlier implementation of the Woodhead scheme. Success would have led to other projects, but note that "electric for heavy freight" still seemed the mindset (like the Raven era EF1s) - that would have probably changed over time.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

Just think we could have had the HST and class 90/91 type locos but with A4 type streamlining. And maybe a faster speed record for steam traction. What it is to dream or wonder....
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway