The Talisman

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

robertcwp
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: The Talisman

Post by robertcwp »

hq1hitchin wrote:
Saint Johnstoun wrote:Thanks for these interesting documents. It would seem that the Talisman was 'reservations only' from the way I read what is there!
I think you'll find that the term 'Seat Reservation train' meant that it was one on which seats might be reserved as opposed to one where no reservations could be made. Like you say, the blokes who could have given us the definitive answers are few and far between now. Can remember travelling back from Ft William to London and beyond in Deltic days, can't recall having to go through a barrier at Waverley to join the 16:00 Talisman, or am I mistaken? I certainly wouldn't have had a reserved seat as I was travelling on a free pass
This is my understanding too - seat reservation train meant one where reservations were available. These were identified as such in the public timetable too.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Thought - in the 1958 -9 Scottish Region Timetable the one page detail about the Talisman says

"All seats are reservable in advance on payment of a fee of 2/- per seat."

Against other trains it says:

"Passengers can reserve seats in advance on payment of a fee of 2/- per seat."

Does this imply that the Talisman was reservations only?

It might be that if the train was, in theory, fully booked, then no casuals would be allowed to board, but if it was not then it would be loaded up to the seating capacity?

There were certainly barriers at Waverley as I remember it on the through up and down platforms complete with little kiosks for the ticket collectors.
Mitchinson
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Mitchinson »

My dad was the fireman on the first journey ro kings cross i have a photo and copy of the newspaper
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Might you be able to share please? We’d be grateful I’m sure to see the article and photo you mention
Mitchinson
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Mitchinson »

]Certainly just trying to figure out how to put it on says file too big even if I try to send separately any ideas please
Last edited by Mitchinson on Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitchinson
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Mitchinson »

Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Mitchinson
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Mitchinson »

Still have a photo of my dad and driver but says it's too large to send
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Yes we have limits. It is all hosted on my web account which is shared with my business, but the bulk of the disk usage consists of LNER listserver attachments...

You should be able to use a graphics program to reduce the size of images (photos compress really well). Black and white (or greyscale) also takes up a lot less space if the image is saved as such. The limits do vary - things like PDFs are higher because often have legitimate reasons to be larger, but the vast majority of web photos do not need to take much disk space. We're not using them to print books!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Mitchinson
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Mitchinson »

Can i send you photograph another way email ect