Thompson L1 2-6-4T

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

andersley
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by andersley »

I am building a OO kit of one of this class for a friend. There appears to be very few photographs online for these and I really need to see what details are on the rear. The kit includes a ladder, but no indication where it goes. I guess there are also steps, handrails, etc.

If anyone can show me a picture of the rear of the bunker, I would be most grateful. Thanks in advance.

Alan
hunslet
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Thompson L1 2-6-4 t

Post by hunslet »

Hello andersley
Try Yeadons loco biographies, classes L1@V1/V3,there are some excellent rear views of the L1 bunker arrangement.
cheers ......Hunslet
PaulG
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by PaulG »

There is a good rear view photo of 67721 at Bishops Stortford in 1957, plus a couple of other rear views in "Locomotives Illustrated 120 - The LNER Class L-1 and K-1" published July/August 1998 - copies frequently come up on e-bay.

The same photo of 67721 appears in the RCTS Part 9A of Locos of the LNER, but is a smaller size photo and not so well reproduced.

Nick Campling did an article recently - I think in BackTrack - "The Thompson Class L-1 2-6-4T" including scale drawings - including rear view - and several photos including a rear view of 67748 in 1957 - this is photo Ref T5270 which I think is a H Gordon Tidey photograph, originally published by "Real Photographs Co Ltd" and now available from the National Railway Museum.

I hope the above is of some help.

Regards
Paul
andersley
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by andersley »

Thanks for the information Paul. I took a look at a copy of the RCTS 9A at Harrogate exhibition last weekend and saw the photo you mention. I did not buy the book just for the one picture, but did make a mental note of the position of the ladder, etc. :wink: