Braunston and Willoughby

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tony
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Braunston and Willoughby

Post by Tony »

Do any of you railway minutiae gents know the date of withdrawal of goods services at Braunston and Willoughby. I know the date the passenger service was withdrawn from this station, but a photo I have suggests goods traffic may have persisted here into the 1960s.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

"Passengers No More" lists the date of closure as 1st April 1957, but I'm not sure whether this is when passenger services were withdrawn or the entire station facility was closed.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
hunslet
GNR J52 0-6-0T

braunston and willoughby

Post by hunslet »

"The Great Central Then and Now" by Mac Hawkins, gives the closure date as the 29 September 1958,almost 18 months difference.....interesting!
Hunslet
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

The dates may (or may not) also coincide with Summer and Winter timetables?
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Tony
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Braunston & Willoughby closure

Post by Tony »

Thanks for the responses gents. The BR date for withdrawal of passenger service was indeed Monday 1 April 1957, but as I say there was evidence (parked wagons in the siding there) in 1963 maybe indicating a continuing freight service, or perhaps just the sign of ongoing PW maintenance. I wanted to be sure which it was. I can send a copy of the withdrawal notice for passenger service to anyone who wants it - it is just a few points too large to attach to this message).
Tony