LNER J45

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jock
NER Y7 0-4-0T

LNER J45

Post by jock »

Trying to convert a Hornby Gronk to a J45, does anyone have any decent pictures please? I have only one from The Railway Magazine of an LNER version and the British Rail one from this site.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I'm in the long process of doing the same to a Farish Gronk!

There are some pictures in the RCTS book but they're not as good as the one on the site. I assume the reelvant Yeadon's volume hasn't been issued yet?

For the my conversion I have decided not to worry about cabinet positions/etc. The lack of outside frames IMHO are a much bigger inaccuracy than small boxes on the side!

I've stripped the body - easy as it is cast metal. Then repainted in matt black. I've painted the buffer beams in red - this was an intelligent guess, no one seems to know the colour for certain.
I've also fitted DCC - and it worked first time - amazing, as I had to modify the brush holders in the motor (yes, in N!).
Unfortunately, after painting, I realised that the rear coupler used the old style Farish pocket. So the next job is to file it out to a rectangular shape and fit modern Rapido coupler. Then it is the decals - very simple in ths case: just numbers and letters.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Spoke too soon - gave it a try late yesterday at the Fort Worth Show, and it wasn't working too well - I won'der if I have poor pickups. Back to the workshop!

I have some photos of the layout and guest modules (we had guests from multiple clubs and States) which I'll post later this week. The outer route came out at 23 scale miles!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
jock
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by jock »

I have been told to reveal my ignorance, what are outside IMHO frames?
The Hornby Gronk is the best shunter we have seen. Can't speak for the Bachman, so until we can get a J steam shunter to the same standard of performance we are hoping this will solve our slow motion shunting operations.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

jock wrote:I have been told to reveal my ignorance, what are outside IMHO frames?
Outside frames are frames which are set outside the wheels, rather than inside them.

IMHO = web abbreviation for "In My Humble Opinion".
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The Graham Farish 08 is still sold with inside frames.

Unfortunately outside frames are harder to mass produce in models - especially when you get small like N. On the 08, the wheels are inside the frames, but the con-rods are outside the frames! I'm sure the 2mm guys have a solution, but no one has dared tackle it in a RTR model yet.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
jock
NER Y7 0-4-0T

j45

Post by jock »

Sorry but I didn't say I was modelling in OO, not N!
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

You did - and I said I was trying the same in N - and having very similar problems. I think the older Hornby models also have the inside frame problem as well?

Either way - we both have the same problem regarding photographs!

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia