Union of South Africa

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Union of South Africa

Post by x568wcn »

Saturday was the big day, after having Duke of Gloucestershire in the Museum for 2 weeks, Uinon of South Africa was bringing the train up from St Albans, and Duke of Gloucestershire was taking it back, which mean't Uuion was to stop over night in the museum.
I spent early Saturday with the duke ticking over (they lit the fire on Thursday), then went to see Union come in , over one hour late (she was late setting off),

Then there was the mad rush as Union turned in the triangle, then went in to the museum, to sit with the Duke, but she didn't go straight in, but recoaled where Scotsman arrived at Railfest.

Then Duke went south, and with half an hour spare, I went back in the museum to sit with Union, then sat with her on Sunday Morning, when she set off for Crewe.

Saturday pics
http://www.yorksteam.co.uk/pages/a4-600 ... /index.asp

Sunday pics
http://www.yorksteam.co.uk/pages/a4-600 ... /index.asp

Hope you like the pics, like the stunning ones on Sunday, and the Cobs mouth open.
I've burnt the mid night oil to get these done, and left the 52 pictures of Duke for later, and I haven't tested that all the links work!

Cheers
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

I wish I'd know about that run. I live 15 minutes away from St. Albans station! :cry:

Great pictures!
Steve
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Where abouts, my Auntie and Uncle live in London Colney.

It was on the board as Mill Hill, and it did the same run the week before (17th)

Check
http://www.uksteam.info

the next one looks to be on the 14th April
THE IRISH MAIL
St Albans-Holyhead [ews]
46201 Diesel: Crewe-Holyhead and return
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Wow small world! I live in Park Street, that's about a mile and a half from your Auntie and Uncles!
Steve
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Spooky

anyway, I lied!

Saturday 31st March 2007 Tour – Shopping and Sightseeing in York

Tour starts from St Albans, picking up also at Luton, Bedford, Wellingborough, Kettering, Market Harborough and Leicester.

Diesel hauled charter train to York

Special features: Approximately seven hours for shopping and sightseeing in York.

You can see it setting off, and I can see it arrive!
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk