Cab illumination

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

shil
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Cab illumination

Post by shil »

Greetings to all.
Being relatively new to the subject of British steam locomotive practice and LNER in particular, I have much to learn.
British steam locos have always been characterised by exceptionally clean lines. Absent, among other appliances, are turbo-generators. Can anyone out there please tell me how the engine crew's instruments were illuminated (if at all) during night running? Gauges, particularly the water glasses, would still have to be visible.

Gene
Last edited by shil on Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lielestosbrat
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by lielestosbrat »

I'm not entirely sure on LNER methods, but I do know the British Railways Standard 9f locos had a bracket to hang an oil lamp next to the water guage glasses. Looking at a photo of a Thompson B1 it looks like that may have a bracket in the middle of the 2 water gauge glasses.

Rob
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Not familiar with LNER either, but Duke of Gloucester has lighting in the dials, aparently, and if the cab lights aren't on it looks superb, although when I was in, it was day!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Electric lighting was a late development on UK steam locomotives - it makes sense that at least some of the Standards were fitted with it.

Checking the RCTS books, the slightly earlier (LNER design, technically BR built!) Peppercorn A1s had electric lighting. A "Stone's turbo generator" was located on the right hand side running plate and was partly hidden by the smoke deflector.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
shil
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by shil »

Thank you, Rob, Mark, and Richard, for the information.

Richard, apparently I'm looking for turbo-generators in the wrong places!

So much to learn, so little time.

Gene
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

x568wcn wrote:Not familiar with LNER either, but Duke of Gloucester has lighting in the dials, aparently, and if the cab lights aren't on it looks superb, although when I was in, it was day!
I may be missing something but I can't see a AWS warning indicator. I thought all mainline engines had to have this fitted, or am I mistaken :?:

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Give me a clue, I know a fire box.
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
karlrestall
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by karlrestall »

The AWS is the sunflower signal aspect in this picture Image that seems to be missing in DoG.

Regards

Karl
NYMR Guard
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

The AWS reset button is there (looks like one from a diesel) just to the right of the gentleman's right hand and the AWS bell is above his head. The sunflower must be hidden somewhere.
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

Further to my last.....in the picture of the indicator on the other loco you can see the reset handle bottom right of the indicator/reset unit next to the vacuum brake duplex gauge. If the reset on 71000 is from a diesel it would follow that the indicator is from a diesel as well, this may be what is just visible below the rest button, it certainley looks like the top corner of an indicator unit.