North Eastern Railway Gunpowder Vans

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

North Eastern Railway Gunpowder Vans

Post by Rlangham »

Hi all, looking for images or descriptions of North Eastern Railway gunpowder vans, especially those used during the First World War. Spotted a few models on the Hattons website, including this one - the LNER website describes them as being painted in vermillion with white lettering, so something like this presumably, but I guess this is based on an LNER gunpowder van rather than NER? (Although it does say on it return to Heaton Junction... so may be in luck)

http://www.ehattons.com/52434/Dapol_2F_ ... etail.aspx

Cheers, Rob
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: North Eastern Railway Gunpowder Vans

Post by richard »

Dapol have also produced this model in "NE" grey, but I don't think it was explicitly listed as LNER, just "NE"!

I understand the model is actually a variant of a GWR Iron Mink which has then been re-liveried for the dozen or so different versions that they've produced (I have the grey NE(R), red NBR, and white GNR models).
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

I think there's an image of a gunpowder van at Shincliffe available - I'm away from home at present so can't check my collection, but perhaps this might jog other peoples' memories?

Mark
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

The new Tatlow shows 2 NER gunpowder vans, one small with a high arc roof, the other very much a standard Iron Mink with rounded corners and different doors.

You might want to check dimensions if you're very fussy but I suspect you could basically get away with these, dependent on the lettering being accurate. Both Tatlow pictures are from the LNER period.
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

In luck - found the picture. I've just cropped it to show the van - note the lettering across it. This shot is from after 1941; I suspect mid-1950s, but am not certain

Cheers
Mark
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

I think that is a GWR GPV. Generic iron mink. In grey with GPV in red. Check Jim Russell.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Interesting Stop block and trap / catch point.

I see that some more shots like that have appeared on the conc huts thread.
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

Bryan wrote:Interesting Stop block and trap / catch point.

I see that some more shots like that have appeared on the conc huts thread.
Yes, very interesting, and very do-able on a model. It's little details like those that do 'make the difference' :)

Mark
Pre-Grouping Rail
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Pre-Grouping Rail »

there were two types of NER gunpowder vans that ran through to BR days the first is a small van built in the 1890's and a Standard mink style van built in the run in to WW1. The small one was designed to run with cholderon wagons and was on a short wheel base of 8ft. Where as the larger van is of the standard GWR iron mink but with NER fittings.

Marc