A4 'Merlin' model (Hornby R2798)

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: A4 'Merlin' model (Hornby R2798)

Post by Graeme Leary »

Again, many thanks.
So, if repainting my A4 model in Experimental Purple I could use a fairly bright Purple and apply in the same format as in the photo of Walter Whigman sent earlier where the purple was applied (with the Black detail on the 'shaped' part of the smokebox); the same lining on both loco and tender; and the full words 'British Railways' on the tender and use any of those 4 names with the appropriate LNER number and, in the period you specify, it would definitely still be a singel chimney. (I have a 'Sea Eagle' etched nameboard so this is likely to be the one used with the number 4487 so if there was anything 'peculiar' to 'Sea Eagle' in eg. colour that would be helpful to know).
Getting close to action now!
73D
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 73D »

I assume you have already read the debate on what the colour actually was that took place last July, which can be viewed here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7423&hilit=BR+Expe ... le&start=0
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

60028 was never experimental blue (purple) when named Sea Eagle -it had become Walter K Whigham by that time. Don't get confused with the later Sea Eagle name applied to Peppercorn A1 60139.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Many thanks again for ALL your replies - what a can of worms I have opened!
I now understand (I think) that so-called 'Purple' was really a different shade of 'Blue' that had a 'Purple' look about it in certain lights or at certain angles (but was still in fact different to 'normal - not Garter - BR Blue. The colour photo of Walter Wigham and silverlinks portrayal of 'Merlin' seems to indicate a 'Purplish' toned Blue but of course this may welll be a temporay repainting and may be marginally different from the real thing after Nationalisation.
Also, I seem to recall that a couple of years back Hornby produced a train set with (from memory) A4 Kingfisher in a 'Purplish' Blue with 2 or 3 Gresley coaches. I think I'll have a look at the Hornby website and see if this set might just meet my requirements (provided it also has British Railways on the tender, single chimney etc) to display the loco and I can always run the coaches with other LNER liveried engines on the layout.
However, if any more details come to light I'd be very appreciative
YTJaffa
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by YTJaffa »

Is this the loco you guys are going on about? If so how much has it been going for because I've barely seen this anywhere else.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Hello YTJaffa,
After kicking off the 'discourse' on Experimental Purple about 6 years ago I should have posted that I did eventually find a 2nd hand Hornby model in this colour ('Merlin' 60027 with BRITISH RAILWAYS - ie not late/early crests or emblems - on the tender) surprisingly here in New Zealand and which happily saved me the chore of trying to repaint and replicate the colour. From memory paid equivalent of about GBP150.00 for it but "one lady owner" and all that - it's in brilliant condition and was the 3rd to last of my, what I think is the full range of liveries that A4s ran as during their lifetime of sterling service. (The last 2 were a repaint in Wartime Black 4489 'Dominion of Canada' with fitted bell and a late crest 60031 Golden Eagle' which I added the diagonal cab stripe to).
Lovely machines and now developing my A1/3s - where will it end!
Graeme
New Zealand