Colour of Vacuum pipes

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

drmditch

Colour of Vacuum pipes

Post by drmditch »

Sorry if this is already posted elsewhere on the forum, but I couldn't find it!

Were the vacuum pipes on LNER 'piped' (as opposed to automatic vacuum braked) vehicles painted in any distinguishing colour?
Also, (if I may dare to ask this on this forum) what was LMS practice in this regard?

I seem to remember having read somewhere that they were painted red.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Colour of Vacuum pipes

Post by jwealleans »

Yes, red. This came from 2512silverfox on my WB thread when I did a GN piped cattle van. It's somewhere about page 6.
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

Confirm piped stock -standpipe red. Other fitted stock - should be black, but in practise not always so.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Thank you for the replies and the information.
I appreciate that this may be the wrong forum, but does anyone know if the LMS followed the same conventions?
(I'm just finishing a re-build of a Bachmann cattle wagon to an LMS diagram, and I want to make it a Piped version.)
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

Not sure but I know man who will know - I'll be back.
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

The subject of LMS stock has been passed to the LMS Society who suggest that VB stock was red and piped stock white. This must have been quite confusing for shunters! If I hear more I will re-post.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Many thanks. As you say, very confusing for shunters.

The vehicle now nearly finished (I'll put a picture in the modelling section when there is enough daylight to take a picture!) is a cattle wagon, so presumably when loaded would have been marshalled at the head of a train. I wonder whether the potential shocks for the occupants would have been less if the piped vehicle was in front of or behind any braked wagons?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

when loaded would have been marshalled at the head of a train
This came up on the BR Yahoo group recently. The instruction was apparently that loaded cattle vehicles were to be placed so as to minimise shunting, so not necessarily always at the head of a train which would be serving multiple yards/destinations.