Kings Cross suburban locos

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

trainspotter1948
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Kings Cross suburban locos

Post by trainspotter1948 »

My era of trainspotting was in the 1950s, standing on the bridge over the lines at Hornsey. A little later, I used to take the train out to Enfield, Gordon Hill and Hertford North.
My recollection of the suburban locomotives and rolling stock are hazy but I think that the carriages were non-corridor and the locos 0-6-0. - perhaps 0-6-2?
I recall more vividly the Scotsman, A4s and the first Deltic thundering through the station, but images of those little engines escape me.
At last after 55 years I am going to attempt to model what I recall from that period so can anyone enlighten me on what I would have seen?
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Kings Cross suburban locos

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Suggest that you go to the Encyclopedia part of this forum and look up N2.
trainspotter1948

Thanks! As soon and I saw the number 695XX more memory cells became active.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I to have spent many an hour on the footbridge at Hornsey, and sitting on the top of the girder with my feet hanging over the edge, but with one arm around a lampost :P on the suburban trains (steam only) you would have had the N2, which were everywhere, shunting in Ferme Park, you would have had J52's, J50's, and later the J94 saddletanks, J6 0-6-0 would still been around to, L1's would have passed through along with the ubiquitous B1 used on outer suburban duties.

If you want to go back a few more years you would have seen the odd N1 still pottering around.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Speaking of B1's on outer suburban services, I hope someone can refresh my memory. Did L1's ever work as far as Cambridge, or was that left to the B1's, and the occasional B17 on the CBE? Did the outer limit for L1's end at Baldock or Royston? I was a farily frequent traveller on that route, but can't remember ever being L1 hauled all the way through to Cambridge. Cheers.
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

Can confirm that L1s did work via the GN line into Cambridge, together with B17s B2s and B1s.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Thanks, silverfox. I'd forgotten about the odd B2 as well (well, they weren't that odd :) ). Yeah, couldn't see why an L1 wouldn't have gone all the way.
silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by silverfox »

IIRC correctly the CBE was B1 hauled until the Brush '2' s took over.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Out of interest, would B12's and D16's have worked into the Cross in the early 50's, I have seen pictures of D16's, working south of Hitchin (mostly in LNER days)

Manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

I don't think many B12's, D16's worked into Kings Cross. Most of the ones I copped were in Cambridge, so I think Liverpool Street would have seen the bulk of those.

silverfox: Yes, most of the time the CBE was B1 hauled, but looking through my old Ian Allan, I have 61636, 61657 and 61671 as being on the CBE at times.
Eightpot
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Eightpot »

I have school lunch time recollections at Potters Bar of B12's working the CBE around 1956.
trainspotter1948

Returning to my fading memories. (thank you to all respondents - the cobwebs are gradually being blown away and pictures help)
How many suburban coaches would an N2 have hauled between Kings Cross and Hertford/Hatfield?

My follow-up questions are, (1)when did the DMUs replace the N2s on these lines and (2)from the myriad of different models of DMUs now available, what class were they to make sure I buy the correct one when I have saved up my pennies?
I seem to recall cream stripes like a moustache across the front? Or am I getting mixed up with other numerous classes?
60129 GUY MANNERING

Post by 60129 GUY MANNERING »

I believe the CBE was double headed on numerous occasions by a B1 & an L1.
In fact I have a photograph somewhere probably in the book "Top Shed".
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by strang steel »

trainspotter1948 wrote:Returning to my fading memories. (thank you to all respondents - the cobwebs are gradually being blown away and pictures help)
How many suburban coaches would an N2 have hauled between Kings Cross and Hertford/Hatfield?

My follow-up questions are, (1)when did the DMUs replace the N2s on these lines and (2)from the myriad of different models of DMUs now available, what class were they to make sure I buy the correct one when I have saved up my pennies?
I seem to recall cream stripes like a moustache across the front? Or am I getting mixed up with other numerous classes?
Bachmann make a Cravens DMU, and the cream stripes (speed whiskers some people call them) would be ok for the late 50s and early 60s until yellow panels replaced them.

The Derby/Rolls Royce class 125s are not produced RTR by anyone at present, although you might be able to get a kit for one.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

Despite me spending most of my schooldays (58-63) camped out at Wood Green, i NEVER saw a Brit or a B17 go through