Great Northern

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

daveinstoke
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Great Northern

Post by daveinstoke »

Did the Great northern , have some sort of oddball smoke deflectors fitted in the 50's ?
Dave
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Great Northern was rebuilt in 1945 as Class A1/1:

http://www.lner.info/locos/A/a1_1.shtml

Initially no smoke deflectors, then small wing smoke deflectors near the chimney, then the larger ones shown on the second picture.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
daveinstoke
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by daveinstoke »

Looking at the photo that my Dad took, they are the same deflectors. However I have found a picture of, & I will quote his observations.
Class A1 pacific Aberdonian with Standard type smoke deflectors. Plus A3 pacific Hermit with German type deflectors.Plus another very nice picture of Donovan & Grand Parade at Doncaster shed. Both Loco's end to end.
Dave.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

"Standard type" is probably a general term for the larger smoke deflectors - as used on the larger BR Standards (eg. Britannias and 9Fs), and on the Peppercorns.

This would contrast with the A3 "German" deflectors or the shorter Southern style.

The RCTS Book does not mention the fitting of true standard BR Standard smoke deflectors. Yeadon's would be another place to check, if you have the Raven, Thompson & Peppercorn Pacific volume.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Sir Nigel Gresley
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Sir Nigel Gresley »

Just to put this thread to bed, 60113 was fitted with one-off, non-standard smoke deflectors, unique to this loco.

To avoid confusion, "Standard" deflectors were only fitted to BR Standard locos (Britannias, Clans, 9Fs and DoG) and the unfortunate Royal Scot 46106 Gordon Highlander.

LNER standard deflectors can be said to have been fitted initially to the Thompson A2/1s (after unsuccessful wing deflectors) followed by the A2/3s. The design was then slightly modified by AHP by increasing the lower cutaway (to accommodate the outside steam pipes) for the A2s and A1s.
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Just to add to the discussion about unusual smoke deflectors fitted to locomotives - Humorist in its final form was fitted with smoke deflectors of a very similar style to the Thompson and Peppercorn A1s and A2s. This gave the loco a very unique profile when compared to the A3s fitted with the German style.

One question I do have as well. I've see some pictures of A3s in the 50s with round dome Thompson boilers, did any of this receive German smoke deflectors. It would made an unusual model.
Steve
Sir Nigel Gresley
LNER N2 0-6-2T

A3 with round dome and smoke deflectors

Post by Sir Nigel Gresley »

I seem to recall a photo of 60085 Manna with round dome and smoke deflectors, in the RCTS Book, but mine is still packed, following a house move. The photo, below, purports to show 60065 Knight of Thistle so equipped, but it may be 60085 (the image is blurred). However, another photo on the same website shows 85 with streamlined dome and deflectors - it may have been subsequently reboilered - I will check when I can access my RCTS book.

http://jaspersrailphotographs.fotopic.n ... 83498.html

Edit 23 Dec 07: The photo in the RCTS book is 60091 Captain Cuttle, also verified in the old Bradford-Barton book "North Eastern Pacifics", so ignore reference to Manna. In the same book, 60065 is also verified with round dome and deflectors. Both have "New Type" non-corridor tenders. Both books also depict 60070 Gladiateur in 1959 with a round dome, but, obviously, before the introduction of deflectors. 60070 received deflectors in Sept 61, but was reboilered with a 94HP at the same time, and the RCTS book is causing me some confusion as, whilst it states the type of boiler fitted, it captions 60091 and 60070 as having a 94A boiler, but states in the text that 110 A3 boilers were built; Thirty-eight 94HP's with round dome and seventy-two 94A's with banjo dome.

I shall try to cross-reference all this when I can find my Willie Yeadon's Register, and will attempt to post a comprehensive response!