Help with inside cylinder on P1's

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER N2 0-6-2T

Help with inside cylinder on P1's

Post by 60114 »

Hi one and all

I have been working a way on my Train simulator model of the P1, i've decided on including the inside cylinder and motion, im presuming that the crank rod (is this the correct term) joins the 2nd driving wheel, in the dead center of the axle, so would this put the cylinder rod on the left or right side of the engine, if the peppercorn a1's and gresley a3's are anything to go by it should be on the left side

can people confirm this or correct me?

Best Wishes Mike
NER Y7 0-4-0T

P1 Middle Cylinder

Post by 2398 »

The middle cylinder is on the centre line of the engine and the connecting rod works on the second coupled axle from the front, as you say. I'm not sure what you mean by the 'cylinder rod' though. If you mean the piston rod, then it's obviously in line with the connecting rod. The piston valves for the middle cylinder are on the left side.
60099 Call Boy
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: Help with inside cylinder on P1's

Post by 60099 Call Boy »

I have worked on Scotsman at Southall and can confirm that the inside cylinder on an A3 is on the centre line of the locomotive looking from the front and drives the same axle as the outside cylinders. If you are also wanting the details of the valve gear for the inside cylinder then these wouldn't be visible under the boiler/between the frames but driven ahead of the cylinders by the conjugated valve gear. Remember that the inside cylinder would have been inclined so that the piston rod and crosshead assembly would clear the leading driven axle.
60114 wrote:Hi one and all

I have been working a way on my Train simulator model of the P1, i've decided on including the inside cylinder and motion, im presuming that the crank rod (is this the correct term) joins the 2nd driving wheel, in the dead center of the axle, so would this put the cylinder rod on the left or right side of the engine, if the peppercorn a1's and gresley a3's are anything to go by it should be on the left side

can people confirm this or correct me?

Best Wishes Mike
81C
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 60114 »

thank you guys, although its not 100% correct i guess its fairly close so that will do for now at some point i shall post some screenshots for peoples opinions