Push-pull trains

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Push-pull trains

Post by Greedy Boards »

Afternoon Guys

thought that I would post some pics of G5 combinations in both NER and GER territories. If I manage to overcome the tecnological challenges, the second image should be from the Bartlow service.

Here's hoping!

Greedy Boards
Attachments
G5 0-4-4T coach combinations in both NER and GER territory
North Eastern Matters
bricam5
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by bricam5 »

7340 was tried on the Hull Paragon to Pontefract, Baghill run but the water was still very low on arriving at Pontefract, even with the extended tanks. I fired it on that run,once.
An L1 was used after about six runs with 7340.
Footplate ex Botanic Gardens & Bradford GN (Bowling)
Yorkshire born & bred
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

The GE coach being used on the Bartlow push pull, reminds me of Hornbys clerestory coach, but with out the clerestory, Hmmm 8)

Great pics of the G5's etc, and I love the comment 'I fired that once' so matter of fact, 60 years after the event :lol: keep it up :mrgreen:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
I agree, Manna, a Hornby Clerestory Brake, with the ducket removed would get pretty close.
Earlswood nob
ten ten
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ten ten »

You might be able use the Hornby GW coach as basis for a NER p/p clerestory coach . The one in existence at Embsay belongs to the Autocar trust andmay give a guide. There's some photos of it in their latest newsletter on the web. I seem to remember seeing a early photo of such a coach coupled to a BTP (G6) tank at Beckhole platform.
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

Those Hornby Clerestories appear to be quite good as a basis for 'period' trains, especially if picked up cheaply. I'm looking to doll a few of 'em up for a NER setup I'm working on; will probably treat 'em to some new Fox bogies & see how we get on from there. Certainly cheaper than hunting down D&S kits on the auction sites, much as I would like to, but they do go for silly prices on occasion... :(
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Hornby's recent Gresley Non Corridor Brake end is easily converted into a Push Pull Driving Trailer. There was an article a long time ago in Railway Record on these conversions - I will try and dig it out.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good Morning all
It will be interesting to read the article on conversions. I have looked at the Gresley Brake on the Hornby website and it does look a good subject for a push-pull conversion.
However, I'm not sure that I could justify buying a new coach and bashing it into another type. When I do get around to builing the BTP(G6), I think a period coach would look better, this leaved a Hornby Clerestory conversion or an etched kit.
Earlswood Nob
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

The NER had two periods of p&p working. From 1905- c. 1928 they used BTPs with either D.116 or D.162 driving brake composites. These coaches all had small round windows in the driving ends, the D.116 were clerestories and D.162 had elliptical roofs. The control gear was removed from these coaches by the late 20s. From 1938 some G5s and number of different carriage diagrams were fitted with vacuum control p&p gear to enable them to take over from the failing sentinel railcars. While some of the original D.162 coaches were refitted with control gear, the D.116 coaches were not reused. Driving coaches from other diagrams were given large squarish windows in the driving end.

If you want to use a BTP for a p&p train you will need one or two D.116 or D.162 to go with it. I'm not sure that D&S ever did either of these or if they could be obtained if they did, but Langley do the D.116.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

The D162 driving trailer was DS225. Worth a note to Danny suggesting a rerun if you really want one.

Also note that the Langley kit doesn't include bogies.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

earlswood nob wrote:Good Morning all
It will be interesting to read the article on conversions. I have looked at the Gresley Brake on the Hornby website and it does look a good subject for a push-pull conversion.
However, I'm not sure that I could justify buying a new coach and bashing it into another type. When I do get around to builing the BTP(G6), I think a period coach would look better, this leaved a Hornby Clerestory conversion or an etched kit.
Earlswood Nob
There is of course the former Kirk kit in 4mm scale from Cooper Craft for something in the meantime:

http://shop.cooper-craft.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=164
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

65447 wrote:
earlswood nob wrote:Good Morning all
Earlswood Nob
There is of course the former Kirk kit in 4mm scale from Cooper Craft for something in the meantime:

Only good for GER area as mentioned earlier. I have a built D162 if you need pictures
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

mick b wrote:
65447 wrote:There is of course the former Kirk kit in 4mm scale from Cooper Craft for something in the meantime:

Only good for GER area as mentioned earlier. I have a built D162 if you need pictures
Not true - used elsewhere than the GE Section.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Where then ,never seen listed anywhere else? certainly not ex NER area.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Issue 32, Summer 1990 of British Railway Journal has a very comprehensive article on LNER Push-Pull Coaches and would answer most of the questions asked in this thread.