Push-pull trains

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Push-pull trains

Post by 65447 »

mick b wrote:Where then ,never seen listed anywhere else? certainly not ex NER area.
Craigendoran-Arrochar, Fraserburgh-St.Combs, for example.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

markindurham wrote:Those Hornby Clerestories appear to be quite good as a basis for 'period' trains, especially if picked up cheaply. I'm looking to doll a few of 'em up for a NER setup I'm working on; will probably treat 'em to some new Fox bogies & see how we get on from there. Certainly cheaper than hunting down D&S kits on the auction sites, much as I would like to, but they do go for silly prices on occasion... :(
You might like to see my thread in the modelling forum. It has a bit about my NER clerestories converted from Hornby originals. I'm working on another one at the moment, but it's got rather stuck in the queue!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6399&start=15
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Craigendoran Arrochar used standard Gresley non corridors converted, but Fraserburgh-St. Combs was a short lived event with mainly standard LNER stock but one North Eastern Railway Diagram 178 third No. 717 was also modified. The scheme lasted two years and the stock was then transferred south of the border.
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

drmditch wrote:
markindurham wrote:Those Hornby Clerestories appear to be quite good as a basis for 'period' trains, especially if picked up cheaply. I'm looking to doll a few of 'em up for a NER setup I'm working on; will probably treat 'em to some new Fox bogies & see how we get on from there. Certainly cheaper than hunting down D&S kits on the auction sites, much as I would like to, but they do go for silly prices on occasion... :(
You might like to see my thread in the modelling forum. It has a bit about my NER clerestories converted from Hornby originals. I'm working on another one at the moment, but it's got rather stuck in the queue!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6399&start=15
Ooh, thanks for the link :)

mark
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

65447 wrote:
mick b wrote:Where then ,never seen listed anywhere else? certainly not ex NER area.
Craigendoran-Arrochar, Fraserburgh-St.Combs, for example.
Because the conversion work was left to the works involved there distinct flavours of LNER driving trailers.

Four compartment BTs given two large end windows to each side of the ends and side windows next to the ends.
Six compartment BTs with the same large end windows but no side windows.
Four carriages (2x BT(4), 2xBC(2/4)) with medium sized end windows set in the centre of the ends and no side windows. This batch were use in Scotland.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all
WOW....thanks a lot Bill for all the information, and thanks to all others who replied.
When I get a roundtuit, I will have plenty of research to do.
Earlswood Nob
benachie
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by benachie »

For those who are members of rmweb, the following threads may be of interest.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ull-units/

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... 320-btdts/

Alan
1H was 2E
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 1H was 2E »

A little question. An earlier post referred to 2 or 3 coach push pull trains. My only first hand experience of them was only on the LMR, when they were usually 2 coach, but if strengthened to 4 the train was formed with 2 coaches each side of the engine. I have an idea that there was some government regulation that no more than 2 coaches could be propelled, so I would be interested if anyone can confirm instances of 3 (or more).
It's worth pointing out that vans could be attached to a train in push mode, behind the engine. (I have read that the SR had push-pull fitted utility vans but I am a little sceptical, as the work in attaching/detaching would have been onerous). And, around here, the loco went through the (automatic) coaler with the coaches attached.
Andy W
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Andy W »

The Southern did have push pull vans. 5 SECR vans were converted in 1941 and when these were withdrawn in 1962 a further 5 more modern examples were converted to replace them, the equipment being removed in 1964 when the last push pull sets were withdrawn.

They were intended to remain between the loco and its coaches so didn't require shunting out. Any other van that was used had to go as tail traffic, whichever way the loco was going. There is a picture of one of the push pull fitted ones in one of the SR Coaching Stock books, the Mike King one published by OPC.
bricam5
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by bricam5 »

Difficult to confirm because I am writing from memory.
The majority of P & P working out of Hull Paragon were 2 coach sets but I have seen 3 coach sets working Hull to Brough. I have'nt seen 3 coaches on any other run and I have only fired 2 coach sets.
Footplate ex Botanic Gardens & Bradford GN (Bowling)
Yorkshire born & bred
James Brodie
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by James Brodie »

Dear Sir,
I was on the Guisbrough (sub shed of 51D) Push Pull in the early fifties we had 67281 and 67338 despite the erroneous info in the spotters book showing one of our engines not being P/P fitted.
Our coaching stock at first two NER BCs then after all the carriage door handles were removed by a side swipe from a foul 21T hopper !! we got a Gresley BC replacement.
Next when Middlesbrough men forgot to hang the screw coupling on but did everything else we got an NER Clerestory roof replacement BC again then when we put the gates at North Ormesby signal box through the end of the lead coach we got another clerestory roofed BC. I was away doing my national service when the depot closed but presume the train formation stayed the same to the end. The clerestories had been withdrawn but reprieved for a little while longer. I regret not getting the coach numbers.
Our train always had the brake compartment at the trailing end on both coaches. We pulled to Guis' and propelled to Mbro.
If our engines were on washout and the other in works we sometimes got an A8 and had to work the train with a guard and run the coaches by at Guis'
Can the gentleman who worked the G5 with non screw reverser remember what it's number was please.
jim Brodie 67281.
bricam5
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by bricam5 »

Can the gentleman who worked the G5 with non screw reverser remember what it's number was please.
jim Brodie 67281
Many years since I have been called a gentleman :)
Sorry, I can't remember the number of that G5 nearly 65 years ago.
It was the one that I did my test on. I can remember the inspectors name: Armstrong.
I can also remember him looking out of the cab and pretending he had'nt seen me closing the regulator to notch up after several futile attempts to notch up with the regulator full open. A stupid situation, as on the return, with the driver in the cab, he closed the regulator every time to notch up.
Footplate ex Botanic Gardens & Bradford GN (Bowling)
Yorkshire born & bred
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Re boot on this thread

I have a build of the 4mm Langley NER Clerestory " Porthole End" Autocoach ( very poor kit be warned!!) on the go at present.
Finding any information as to their use in LNER days has drawn a total blank so far. Details needed e.g vacumn and or westinghouse brake fitted, running numbers etc.
I have so far found on the NER Autocar webpage, photos of their preserved example, this appears to be missing a few detail parts at the moment.

thanks for any help
JonBates
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by JonBates »

Hello Mick

You may already have this information...

I think that the Langley kit is for an NER Diagram 116 Brake Composite Autocar. There are a couple of photos in North Eastern Record Vol2. One of these is head on and clearly shows just one brake hose - I assume Westinghouse in NER days. One of the photos shows a running number 3443.

I further assume that the brakes would have changed from Westinghouse to vacuum in the late 1920s. However that is, as I say, just an assumption.

Regards

Jon
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks for above, I have now established that it is the 116 version which is the Langley "Model".

A weird old design as no seperate floor, it come attached to the sides, as a result I am building the shell , paint and glaze the main body , then put the main roof on and then paint the top section and glaze. Then add finally the top roof . Should be fun !!. Langley simply say solder the lot together, it doesnt metion how to put any windows in at all !!. :shock: :shock:

It appears at the moment the 116 version were all withdrawn by 1930?, so in view of that ,mine will be a Westinghouse Brake only. It would be easier to add the vacumn parts in the future, than having to take them off again and ruining the paint.

I will be using mine with Rails NER Autocar when it comes out, so I will use the number from the preserved one for this Coach.