NYMR teak train grows!

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: NYMR teak train grows!

Post by Hatfield Shed »

4493 wrote:Thanks gents for your kind comments, its been a pleasure and privilege to work on one of HNG's products...
Had my trip now, and am much impressed, these really are a time machine. The old familiar ride one got on the ECML, the 'timber ship' creaking as they entered or departed the platform. My wife who knew none of this (mother from Swindon, so a deprived child) was deeply impressed: why has the railway ride quality gone backwards?
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

It's always nice to know that all the research and attention to detail is appreciated.

Sawdust.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

Ok a little belatedly, but here goes. A selection of my photos of 3669 before and on it's launch into service by Tim Godfrey, grandson of the "Great" man himself. The first photos' show 3669 arriving at Grosmont on the 10:50 off Pickering at noon on Friday the 8th of May [taken using my mobile phone!]. Those that follow show the proud co-owner 4493 sweeping out the van area with sawdust in the background, along with a slightly tongue in cheek photo of my suitcase as it's first piece of luggage in fifty years and a general [slightly blurred] photo looking towards the Guards seat, with Murray Brown former NYMR Trust Chairman. I've also included a shot taken from the other end of the train whilst in the carriage sidings at Grosmont show how "shiny and new" 3669 looks compared to the rest of the teaks. As for the rest there's a selction showing the corridor looking both ways, three with the aforementioned Tim Godfrey launching 3669 and finally a couple showing the compartside at Pickering with one of the platform doors open and people using the coach.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/j2psum68sh9d ... hAYOUfO2ha
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Is that damage to the carpet in pic 4? Down the right hand side.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Beautiful job. It shows how much Teak darkens with age as well when compared with the rest of the Train.

Worn carpet? looks like Lino to me , reflection from the interior partition Glass perhaps?
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

Kestrel wrote:Is that damage to the carpet in pic 4? Down the right hand side.
It's not carpet but cork and rubber flooring as per original. What you can see is a reflection off the top of the bottomside rail of the coach body. The line is where the floor changes to floorboards.

Sawdust.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

sawdust wrote:
Kestrel wrote:Is that damage to the carpet in pic 4? Down the right hand side.
It's not carpet but cork and rubber flooring as per original. What you can see is a reflection off the top of the bottomside rail of the coach body. The line is where the floor changes to floorboards.

Sawdust.
You beat me too it Sawdust :wink: ! It just shows how "shiny & new" the interior of 3669 is/was.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

mick b wrote:Beautiful job. It shows how much Teak darkens with age as well when compared with the rest of the Train.

Worn carpet? looks like Lino to me , reflection from the interior partition Glass perhaps?
Indeed they don't half darken, especially those white tops! Which back in the day had their canvess painted with white lead. These days we use "Decadex" or some such fireproofing paint [which looks like an emulsion type paint], this in turn looks the same white then darkens to an almost black/dark charcoal colour. There is a photo taken of the set a few years ago which shows one coach with an Captain Ahab [as in Moby Dick] style white streak along the roof. That was down to there having been a long dry spell, followed with a short sharp wet spell causing the roof canvess to split length ways along the roof and a new patch strip being applied using the Decadex as a glue/sealer.
Last edited by 2392 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

There has been some really great news with regards to the teak set on the NYMR. Having applied for "mainline" approval to operate Grosmont-Whitby [and to Battersby occasionally] the approval has been given, provided certain modifications and repairs are carried out, as happens with mainline approved locomotives. They will be limited to 25mph for the time being, which isn't that bad as thats the speed the Moors operate the current Mk1 service to/from Whitby. So now it's know what needs doing to meet the necessary critieria they will be included in the restoration of the at present derelict/unrestored LNER coaches on the Moors. The first such coach being the ECJS 3rd diner 189 which is under restoration at the moment.

The main problems now for the runners are fitting them in with the regular overhaul day to day maintenance program of the Moors C & W department. And perhaps the most important thing is getting the the cash together to implement the repairs/improvements highlighted on each coach.
Last edited by 2392 on Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by 4493 »

LNER BTK 3669 moved to the NRM yesterday ready to take part in the "Service with style" exhibition which runs from March 25th to May 8th next year. This is part of the NRM's celebrations for the return to service of "Flying Scotsman", Three coaches representing the type of rolling stock which formed the train over the years (ECJS TK 12, BTK 3669, Thompson Buffet car 1706) will house an exhibition depicting the life of the Flying Scotsman service. The train will be displayed behind four locomotives which hauled the service over its lifetime.