Works plate 2371 Darlington, 1924

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave B
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Works plate 2371 Darlington, 1924

Post by Dave B »

Does anyone know if this darlington works plate, 2371, rebuilt 1942, is from B16 BR number 61442?
Sir Nigel Gresley
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Sir Nigel Gresley »

IIRC, Darlington worksplates had the BR number of the loco on a small brass rectangular strip, screwed over the top of the old number, across the centre of the plate. Is there any evidence of the screw holes, the BR addition having been lost?
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Dave,

You have the number plate from NER 2371, that became LNER 2371 in 1923 and LNER 1442 in 1946. renumbered by BR 61442 in 1948.

NER locos built at Gateshead or Darlington did not have works plates. Works numbers were stamped on various bits of the loco, but no plates fitted.

My source is Ken Hoole An Illustrated History of NER Locomotives.

Colombo
Dave B
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Dave B »

Colombo, Sir Nigel Gresley,
Thanks for the replies concerning worksplate 2371. There is no sign of any extra screws or bolts on the plate other than the two either side of the number for fixing to the loco.
I was confused because the plate says ' rebuilt Darlington 1942' My old ABC lists 61442 as a B16/1 so I presume it was rebuilt without conversion to a B16/2 . The B16/3 's were not introduced until
Thanks again
Dave B
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

I have a genuine cast smokebox shed plate 52A Gateshead, Its not for sale but would anyone care to hazard a guess at its value ?.
I have another query. When Gateshead mpd was being demolished several years ago I came across this worksplate. Has anyone any idea what it came from who who this company were ( see pic)
J Booth & Bros Ltd
Rodley
Leeds

Works No 2618

Thanks
Attachments
Gateshead.jpg
(166.02 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Joseph Booth & Brothers of Rodley, Leeds, made 'lifting machinery' and steam cranes.

There don't look to be many online references, but here are a couple:

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/c80686.html
http://www.herman.rula.co.za/sag_0601.html

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Thanks very much for the help Richard.
So there is every possibilty this could have been taken from the Gateshead Breakdown crane ? It came from a building very near to where the old steam crane was housed.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I've just looked in Tatlow (LNER Wagons, the 1 vol version), and I wonder if there was a merger or name change.

There are two built by "T.Smith & Sons (Rodley) Ltd of Leeds"; but none for Booths. The Smiths were both 15T 0-6-0s, built in 1892 for the GNR, no works number given. Allocation information is mainly missing, but one was reported to be at Grimsby in Nov. 1947. Both withdrawn before April 1975 (publication date).

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
52A
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by 52A »

redtoon1892 wrote:Thanks very much for the help Richard.
So there is every possibilty this could have been taken from the Gateshead Breakdown crane ? It came from a building very near to where the old steam crane was housed.
The last two Gateshead cranes were Cowans Sheldon.
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Thats true they were Cowans, I have pics of both of them, the date on the plate is 1911 maybe well before those two were built ?. does one still survive on a preserved railway in the Midlands ? Did several smaller maintenance steam cranes work out of Bensham Yard.? I have some video I took in the very early 80s of two of these cranes lifting track
when they reduced the road from 4 to 2 passing by Gateshead depot.
The old Greensfield ( GATESHEAD MPD) depot has all but disappeared now under high quality apartments would you believe but several of the old N.E.R. buildings have also been turned into apartments so at least something will survive.
I am new to the site so I apologise moderator if I got the query in the wrong thread. It seems full of very clued up folk tho and I have enjoyed reading other threads.
Boris
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Booths Rodley

Post by Boris »

Definatly crane makers as I had one when I worked at J.W Scaife and Sons Kiveton Park, Limestone quarry in the late 40.

It had a vertical boiler, open all round driving position and a 30 foot jib.

I know the factory was still there a few years ago doing I don't know what, but fear it me have been pulled down for housing.

It backed onto the Leeds Liverpool canal at Rodley
EX DARNALL 39B FIREMAN 1947-55
redtoon1892
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by redtoon1892 »

Got this back from Leeds local studies, it appears they were taken over by Clarke Chapmans which by strange coincidence is a Gatehead company still (just) in existence.

Many thanks for your enquiry.

I have found out a small amount of information about the firm J. Booth & Bros. Ltd. It was founded in 1847 in Rodley by Joseph Booth. The firm designed and manufactured cranes. The firm was made into a limited company in 1898.

Over the last 20 years, according to our archived newspaper index http://www.leedslocalindex.net/ (on which you can carry out a keyword search), the company has changed its name from Clyde Booth, to Wellman Booth/NEI Wellman Booth and has suffered from a series of threatened closures and management and worker buyouts. However, the company seems to be more successful today. The following is a link to the company's website:
http://www.clarkechapman.co.uk/site/9/w ... nav_id=763

The historical information on the company has been taken from a book in our collection entitled Industry in Bramley by E. T Carr. There is some more detailed information on the work of the company in this book and I would be happy to post you a copy of the relevant pages. The cost for this will be £1.50 including postage and handling.