Gresley N2

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

hunslet
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Gresley N2

Post by hunslet »

Hello LNER people
I am currently building a 5" gauge (1.0625" to 1') live steam model of the N2 to the design of Don Young.
I am planning a trip to Loughborough to take some detail photo`s,specifically
cab (bunker,lockers, boiler backhead etc)
My question is,does anyone in the forum know at what stage the N2`s
`Heavy General`is up to?
I know that there are now restrictions regarding access for members of the public to sheds,workshops on private railways,so would i perhaps have to arrange something in advance?.
cheers
Hunslet
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 45609 »

Hi Hunslet,

Is paid a visit to Loughborough about a month ago. I only had a brief look at the N2. It was, essentially, still a rolling chassis with a the running plate on. The wheels had been painted in GNR green livery. I can't remember if the bunker was in place but the tank sides certainly were not. I spotted them underneath Empress Road bridge adjacent to the signal box. I also didn't see the boiler anywhere so it is possible that it was away for repairs.

Access to the shed wasn't a problem and you could walk around freely but I guess if there is something specific you want to see or photograph then prior arrangements would be a good idea.

Cheers....Morgan
hunslet
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by hunslet »

Thanks for the info mlgilbert ,i could try giving the GCR a ring.
Hunslet
Andy Siddall
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Andy Siddall »

Hi hunslet,

Sorry to dig up an old post but I was wondering how you got on at loughborough. I was just searching for info on N2's as I am also starting one to the Don Young drawings and was thinking of going to the GCR to get photos.

Thanks

Andy
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

I was at Loughborough last weeekend for the Model Rail Show and went to have a look at the GCR. After a ride on the train I had a look in the shed.

The N2 was still just a rolling chassis. There was a round topped parallel boiler standing outside about the right size for the N2. It was in a stripped condition and looked to be in a very poor state with the firebox tube plate missing. I hope it was not off the N2.

Colombo
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The last report in the Gresley Observer was that they were still waiting for the firebox. They've had a new steel one fabricated due to problems and cost of getting a proper copper one.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Richard,

It sounds like that boiler was off the N2 then.

The trouble is that these old boilers wear out eventually, then you have to decide if you want a new one built out of modern materials or whether you want to dispaly the loco in its original state but not in working condition,

Colombo
hunslet
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Gresley N2

Post by hunslet »

Hi Andy
Unfortunately i wasn't, able to make it down to Loughborough,although the N2 at the time of my original posting was was ,and i believe still is,in a dismantled state, so perhaps it might be best to wait until the locomotive is more complete.
The November issue of Railway Magazine reports that it is to be restored to GNR livery.
My own 5" gauge version is a also a 'kit of parts',ready soon i hope for a trial assembly of the complete chassis,i've posted afew pics of some of the larger items(see attachments).
In Don Youngs design ,he gives the choice of valve gear,Stephensons or Joy.
Don Young reccomends the use of Joy gear if the loco is to be used on a regular basis,(simpler construction ,more consistent valve events).
In the model, space between the frames is tight if stephensons gear is used.
I haven't done a great deal of work on the model this summer :cry: ,but with nights drawing in,hopefully now i'll be able spend some of these dark winter nights in my workshop :D
cheers all
Hunslet
Attachments
DSC_0006.jpg
Working leaf springs and split axlebox
(343.42 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
DSC_0005.jpg
connecting rod,Joy gear
(334.82 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
DSC_0004.jpg
crank axle
(277.66 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
DSC_0003.jpg
balanced slide valves
(306.41 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
DSC_0002.jpg
(416.42 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Looking good. I don't know if I'd have the patience to delve into model engineering, but I definitely appreciate the results!

I don't remember the Gresley Observer saying explicitly which period the N2 was being restored to, but I've only been a member for a year or two. GNR does make sense - they are using Doncaster green, and they have been having GNR-pattern buffers made (to the design of one owned by the NRM).

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia