Best light 0-6-0?

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Best light 0-6-0?

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

Which do people think was the best light 0-6-0 owned by the LNER?

Based on my criteria of (a) wide route availability (b) adaptability both to freight and passenger work and (c) longevity (reasonable numbers must have survived for a decent while in BTR ownership), the choice appears the be between the ex-GE J15s, the ex-NE J21s and the ex-NB J36s.

Not classes I know much about, having grown up in GN/GC territory!

I'd plump for the J36s, apart from the fact that I don't think they did much passenger work later in their careers.

What do others think?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'd have said the J15. Used all over the GE on some of the lightest and least accessible routes (and look at some of the pictures of the wooden bridges their crews had enough faith to take them over), equally at home on branch passenger or freight (or mixed) work, yet capable of hauling 100 wagon (empty!) trains when called on.

Built over 30 years and (IIRC) withdrawn over 50, and in one case erected in under 10 hours from kit of parts to working locomotive.

I also think they're one of the most attractive locomotives the LNER owned.
CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

I agree definately the J15. The GER also tried to better them then realised you can't mess with perfaction and went back to the original.

jwealleans is also spot on with their ability to go anywhere the rails were laid from branchlines to mainlines and with some serious power for their size. If we big them up long enough maybe hornby or bachmann may make one.

Simon
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Sorry Gents,

I have to put in a word for the J21s and the J25s. I look forward to seeing 65033 running again, I hope that the NNR start on her soon. Here is my J25

Colombo
Attachments
J25 on Turntable.JPG
(68.41 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Do I detect a common theme here already?
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

Colombo wrote:I have to put in a word for the J21s and the J25s.
Seconded.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

For me it would be between the J15s and the J21s. I think the J15 definitely has a unique character due to the forward position of the dome :wink:
Andrew Craig-Bennett
LNER N2 0-6-2T

J15

Post by Andrew Craig-Bennett »

So...we are pretty unanimous on the designer, then? You can have anyone so long as it's Worsdell! :lol:

The forward dome on the J15s was a Holden thing, though; it goes with his standard boiler. I liked the ones with tender cabs best.

Oddly enough the last J15 that I saw in BR service (at the station end of Platform 6 at Colchester) is the one now on the NNR.

I took my sons to the North Norfolk Railway last year, just to show them the greatest steam locomotive of all time...not the fastest, or the most powerful, or the most comfortable, or even the prettiest, but, take one consideration with another, just the best! :D
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

J21 for me, really nice looking loco, a "proper" engine 8)

Just as a matter of interest, has anyone else on the forum thought about sending something in the way of cash to help with the restoration of 65033 at NNR? I am considering it and wondered what others think as I am sure it would be a very worthwhile thing to do.
John B
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

John B wrote:Has anyone else on the forum thought about sending something in the way of cash to help with the restoration of 65033 at NNR? I am considering it and wondered what others think as I am sure it would be a very worthwhile thing to do.
Yes, I'd thought of doing this - especially as she looked such a sorry sight when I visited the NNR a few weeks ago. Is there a bespoke appeal fund, or would you just have to trust that any money you did send was spent on 65033 and not on, say, repainting a class 31 diesel?
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Bullhead,

I have written a couple of days ago to the NNR about the possibility of financially supporting a restoration fund for 65033. There has been no response as yet but when I hear from them I will post details on here.

I know the locomotive belongs to the Beamish Museum but assumed the NNR would manage any restoration programme and any associated fund raising.

I see I have reached the very desireable LNER forum designation of the magnificent Q10 locomotive, they were wonderfully powerful engines from the days of the old Hull and Barnsley and West Riding Junction Railway & Dock Company - to give it its full title :-)
John B
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The Beamish Appeal page is here, although there isn't a simple "donate" link:

http://friendsofbeamish.co.uk/steam/J21page1.html

There is a link for the Friends of Beamish though.
The M&GN Society are/were also involved. They might be worth a try:

http://www.mandgn.co.uk/

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by John B »

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for the great links regarding the restoration of the J21 65033 at the NNR.

The "Friends of Beamish" link is the way to go for donations, apparently ALL I have to do is send a cheque over, it sounds so painless :)

For anyone else interested here's the address:

(Write 'J21 Appeal' on the reverse of cheque)
North of England Open Air Museum,
Beamish,
Co. Durham
DH9 ORG
UK

The appeal apparently began in June 2003, I always seem to come to the party late :wink:

The M&GN website is also very interesting, thanks for pointing that out too Richard.

Cheers
John B
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

I put my vote in for the J11 'pom pom'. fits all the criteria, solid as a rock and found pretty much all over the place, including wartime France...
As for longevity, if you think it was a development of a 1890's design, thought geeod enough for Thompson 'once over' and finally left service in the early 60's.

Will
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

In praise of 0-6-0s

Post by 52D »

As a proud borderer i must defend the honour of the NBR. Lovely little J36s served with distinction in France and some carried names to show it. Working in the UK they were not uncommon on the English side of the border and for you who remember it one appeared in an Episode of Doctor Finallys Casebook complete in NBR livery pulling a suitable pair of coaches.
I saw that particular loco on the scrap line at Thornton Junction round about 1966/67adorned with a chalked Dr Finally on the splashers.
Can any one comment on the coaches used.
I suppose the clip was pre video recorder time and doubt if it has survived but the combination was well photographed and even appeared in some national newspapers
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.