NER Dynamometer Car

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

drmditch

Re: NER Dynamometer Car

Post by drmditch »

Post_03.jpg
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Post_04.jpg
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Some details of the wheel.
Attachments
DS WHEEL 01.jpg
DS WHEEL 02.jpg
DS WHEEL 03.jpg
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'll raise this question now, while all these excellent photos are coming out: I recently saw a model in 1938 condition finished with a red oxide roof. Is that correct and was it always the case?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

The NRM appaers to be a sort of "Teak" colour on the underframe and matching on the roof (under all the dust). At the moment I will copy Hornbys builds and use Humbrol 62 leather as a match. The other option would be a Grey Roof at a total guess.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Here are some roof pics.

Mick I think the roof as shown in the pics is in reality a different colour to the teak paint on the solebars, the NRM light is very bad when it comes to photo's and my camera hates it. From memory I would say the roof is a red colour.
Attachments
DC 12.jpg
DC 13.jpg
DC 14.jpg
DC 15.jpg
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Couple more roof pics.
Attachments
DC 16.jpg
DC 17.jpg
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

The roof colour is one of the questions originally raised, but not answered. At least we know it is not white!

When the vehicle was being prepared for presentation at Clapham there is a note in the technical file (source unknown) that the roof should probably be grey or buff. The preserved vehicle has certainly carried red oxide at one point but that might have been used as an undercoat during repairs.

By the same token what colour should the clerestory sides be? It is not imitation teak and may well still be the original NER crimson lake.

Does anyone have a good clear photo of the etched glass in the clerestory roof?
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

The full length picture I posted at the bottom of the second page was taken in daylight on a grey damp Friday evening.
In the original, before I compressed it for posting, the roof definitely appears to be a brown hue.
The clerestory sides also seem brown, but much darker than the scumbled teak on the side panelling. I suppose it could be a very dirty carmine lake - but it looks more brown to me.

The glass in the clerestory has too much reflected light to be totally sure, but there does not appear to be any pattern etched into it.

I am fairly sure that the 52' Clerestory restored by Beamish does have an etched pattern in the clerestory glass. At the moment I can't find the pictures I took of it. This is a real nuisance 'cos I know I took a lot of the underframe when it visited Tanfield - and I need them for my current modelling project.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Ditto re the windows dont recall any markings a couple of weeks ago.I think the Clerestory sides colour is muddy brown at a guess. The Teak scumble is showing its age and is starting to come away on some of the panels and is quite rough to the touch .

The whole Car needs a good scrub :D
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

The etched pattern in the clerestory glass is visible in the pictures in Dave's last post, if you view them at full size...
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

In this picture taken at the the current A4 gathering it appears to me :-

Soleplates, Roof and Clerestory sides are all the same colour which is as I said earlier is quite close to the colour Hornby use on their LNER Solebars e.g Humbrol Leather shade. I wouldnt describe anything in the picture as Red . The Roof top windows look almost opaque but that could be age or again dirt !!
5.jpg
Danby Wiske

Post by Danby Wiske »

Here's a detail taken from Dave's picture 'DC16' above - there's definitely a pattern!
Attachments
dc16 detail.JPG
James Brodie

Post by James Brodie »

My 0 gauge model has a red roof
James Brodie.
Attachments
210.jpg
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

Danby Wiske wrote:Here's a detail taken from Dave's picture 'DC16' above - there's definitely a pattern!
If I can get a better quality image I will make a diagram of it.