Locomotives Illustrated No. 166

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Locomotives Illustrated No. 166

Post by jwealleans »

I bought the latest Locomotives Illustrated yesterday. It covers the GNR and NER 0-6-0 tanks. Two questions have been provoked:

On pages 30 and 34 there are locomotives with what I believe is a tube for stowing a shunter's pole along the running plate. How common were these? I don't recall ever seeing one before.

Bottom picture, p38 (the J75, 2495). Can anyone work out what that truck in front of it is?
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

Jonathan,
Like a slim telegraph pole,hinged behind the front buffer and held by a strap just in front of the tanks -presumably on J71's and possibly J72 2192 photographed prior to 1935? If so these are shunting poles fitted to locos allocated to Shildon only apparently. RCTS Vol8B has this to say"In use the poles extended at an angle horizontally from the engine and connected to any convenient point on the wagon to be pushed along the adjoining track.The method was finally condemned due to men being hurt when the poles splintered."Sounds like something that would give health and safety fits nowadays!A detail worth modelling though,especially if you could get it to work!Hope I have the right component in mind as I have not seen the book,but it sounds like it.
Cheers,
Rob