North Eastern Railway Snowplough No 12

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

North Eastern Railway Snowplough No 12

Post by Rlangham »

The past weekend visitors to Locomotion had the chance to go inside Snowplough No 12 - which was posed with the more modern equivalent. The rear area in the plough is obvious, but not that access is possible to the front part. I did like the stove, too - I seem to recall that an Engineer on the NER was injured, and his friend killed after he was trapped under a stove, following a crash involving a snowplough? Was quite a few years ago since I read that though

Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Re: North Eastern Railway Snowplough No 12

Post by Manxman1831 »

Some interesting photos you have there. I'd be worried about the split in the stove if I was having to use it, though - wouldn't want it to fall apart going over bad rail joints.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

I am sure i have read somewhere that provision was made for bunks in the plough. was there any evidence of this? in the plough itself maybe
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Wordsell at Annitsford Rob.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

From what I have seen of No 12, 18 and 20.
No evidence of purpose built bunks is evident.
The main cab has a bench along either side and in the case of 18 and 20 a board is provided to fit across the doorway to increase seating space.
Having said that if you wanted to stretch out on the hard wood bench feel free.

In the area forward of the cabin there are 2 shelves provided for tool and equipment storage, seen in the 8th photo. These could at a push fit a body but very awkward to get up there.

Like anything to do with railway, it may not be designed or provided with the intention of sleeping accommodation, but no doubt at sometime somebody will have slept in there.

Having ridden in No 18 for a few miles now I think it would be doubtful if you could do any more than doze but some people can sleep anywhere.

Rob, in the 9th photo taken beyond the forward cab access hatch, Are the new screws still evident by being driven too far through the planking?
Also did you manage to take any shots of the old steel underframe, I have some if you need them.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Bryan, do you mean the two at the top of the vertical bar? From what I can see on the photo it looks like they have washers behind them. The light was very poor in there so only got a good view after the turning the flash on my camera. Can e-mail through high resolution photos if of use.

Unfortunately didn't take any of the underframe, as I was there for my book launch only managed a quick break away to go inside the plough.

Have been told the NERA are publishing a book on NER snowploughs later this year which sounds very interesting, and looking forward to picking up a copy

Thanks for the information about Annitsford
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Rob.
No I have photos, thanks.
The screws I mean are those in the attached photo.
The shackle is the inner side of the Drawbar arond the main upright at the front of the plough.

NERA are producing a revised, updated history expanding on K Hoole and John Mallon's work in the early 70s.
I did start this off but time and the amount of photos I wanted to include from the NERA decided otherwise.
So D Williamson has taken this on. I do not know if will use any or some of my material or just rehash K Hoole's work.
However I wish him all the best with it and will be acquiring a copy on release.
There may be a possibility of a release by the middle of the year.
Attachments
IMG_1379-1.jpg
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Thanks - look forward to picking up a copy of the book.

Have picked up a nice colourised postcard of one of the NER steel snowploughs. Looking at what I know of the NER snowploughs it appears the older wooden ones outlasted the steel ones, any reason for this?

An OO gauge model would be nice... Wonder if 3d printing would make it a possibility?

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

I got my latest NERA Express last week and the snowplough book is listed for release in April
so I assume it will be at York show.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

In fact the ploughs that survived were all of the 1909 build except no 19, probably due to being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

The Steel bodied Snowploughs 21 - 24 actually outlasted the timber ploughs.

18 and 20 were withdrawn around 1972 - 3 and disposed of through a scrap yard near Gateshead.
18 was bought by a member of the NYMR and 20 was acquired by Beamish.

21 - 24 remained on stock being located at times at Neville Hill, Mirfield, Healey Mills and Holbeck sheds.
21 and 22 were at Holbeck and last seen in May 1974.
With the last sightings I know of being in July 1974 at Healey Mills of 23 - 24.

However the only NER ploughs to finally survive are 18 and 20.
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Wolf of Badenoch »

Rlangham wrote:Thanks - look forward to picking up a copy of the book.

Have picked up a nice colourised postcard of one of the NER steel snowploughs. Looking at what I know of the NER snowploughs it appears the older wooden ones outlasted the steel ones, any reason for this?

An OO gauge model would be nice... Wonder if 3d printing would make it a possibility?
Medley Models do an O gauge model of the U20 steel snow plow in etched brass. Some years ago the owner of Medley advertised in the NERA Journal to indicate if there was sufficient interest he would also do this plough in 4mm scale. I wrote to him at the time confirming I would commit to a couple of kits and he responded to state that he needed a dozen firm orders to go forward with the project.
Perhaps now would be the time to re-visit this and see if we could get enough interested parties to move this forward. Price I seem to recall was quite reasonable by the standards of the time. The new NERA Association book should help in getting people interested in this also.

SteveT
twa_dogs
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by twa_dogs »

Hi Steve, put me down for two - for obvious reasons.
DJR
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by DJR »

Sorry to bring this thread back up, but did someone mention 3D printed OO gauge Snow plough:

Shildonlad
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Shildonlad »

Hi DJR, lovely printed model you have there. I have been wanting to build/make a similar model for a few years now but never seen to find the time. Could you possible point me in the direction of where I may be able to acquire a copy of the solid model which has been used to print your model from? I would happily pay for the file, it would be purely for personal use but if I print one it would be worthwhile printing several others during the same run as it would take the same time. This is the first time I have used this forum however I'm sure there must be a private message facility somewhere if you don't wish to reply personally.
Thanks, Chris.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up, Shildonlad!

Welcome to the forum!

A PM option will appear once you've made a few more posts.

BB - Mod
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!