ECJS No 12

This forum is for the discussion of the locomotives, motive power, and rolling stock of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

drmditch

ECJS No 12

Post by drmditch »

Also at Shildon last weekend, I took some quick pictures of the this vehicle, being most interested in the bogie, underframe, and brake construction.
There is some discussion of this vehicle.... here...
Post_ECJS_01.jpg
Post_ECJS_02.jpg
I am interested since it is a York built vehicle from 1898, and the bogies are presumably Fox bogies from that period. The above link suggests that some reinforcement was applied to the underframe at a later period. Somehow the link between the queen posts and the tiebars looks incomplete. Did something happen here in it's various re-builds?
Post_ECJS_03.jpg
It is interesting that both vacuum-brake cylinders are on the same side. It would presumably have been dual fitted when built. Does this mean that the Westinghouse cylinders were both on the other side?
Post_ECJS_04.jpg
drmditch

Re: ECJS No 12

Post by drmditch »

I also note that the side roofs in this restoration are painted brown. According to Harris these would originally have been grained to match the sides. I wonder how long that remained visible!
Post_ECJS_05.jpg
Post_ECJS_06.jpg
Wavey
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Wavey »

drmditch wrote:I am interested since it is a York built vehicle from 1898, and the bogies are presumably Fox bogies from that period. The above link suggests that some reinforcement was applied to the underframe at a later period. Somehow the link between the queen posts and the tiebars looks incomplete. Did something happen here in it's various re-builds?
This new plate and welding work could have been done at Carnforth in the 1980's when the carriage was given a major overhaul. Not sure the LNER would have bothered with a structural repair like that on such an old carriage.
drmditch wrote:It is interesting that both vacuum-brake cylinders are on the same side. It would presumably have been dual fitted when built. Does this mean that the Westinghouse cylinders were both on the other side?
More than likely.
NER Open First 2118 had a similar arrangement with 2 air cylinders on the opposite side and this was subsequently converted to vacuum only at a later date.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

drmditch wrote:It is interesting that both vacuum-brake cylinders are on the same side. It would presumably have been dual fitted when built. Does this mean that the Westinghouse cylinders were both on the other side?
There was a single double acting Westinghouse cylinder on the other side.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

I am happy to report that this vehicle has returned to Locomotion, Shildon. It is marshaled behind No.1621 and looks splendid.
Post_12_04.jpg
While assisting colleagues, I was able to walk through the corridor today. The inner wall is decorated with brown-painted lincrusta, (sorry it was difficult to get a picture of that with my old 'phone.)

There is more however, more lincrusta in the Lavatory!
Post_12_01.jpg
Was this to make third-class passengers feel at home in an imitation brick-built privy?
They certainly did not have much space to feel comfortable in!
Post_12_02.jpg
Could this be a challenge for the more competent modellers on this forum?

Didn't get a picture of a full compartment, but the inside of the clerestory may be of interest.
Post_12_03.jpg
I do like this vehicle. If we remain open I will try to take more pictures of interesting features.
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

It certainly is a nice carriage. If you're taking more pictures could you take close ups of the window bars in the toilet and corridor please? They may provide some information for the corridor in ECJS 189.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Thank you for the pictures in No 12, I should be able to finish the underside now, of a model of No 12.

manna
Attachments
DSCF3294.JPG
DSCF3295.JPG
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

drmditch wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:58 pm ...Was this to make third-class passengers feel at home in an imitation brick-built privy?
They certainly did not have much space to feel comfortable in! Post_12_02.jpg
Showed this to my wife, and her immediate comment was that this must have been severely hampering for women, as the contemporary clothing was a full length skirt of several layers.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Hatfield Shed wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:39 am
drmditch wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:58 pm ...Was this to make third-class passengers feel at home in an imitation brick-built privy?
They certainly did not have much space to feel comfortable in! Post_12_02.jpg
Showed this to my wife, and her immediate comment was that this must have been severely hampering for women, as the contemporary clothing was a full length skirt of several layers.
Quite!
Although it would be interesting to find contemporary 1st Class facilities for comparison!
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

We at LNERCA have had similar thoughts about our RTO 189. The seats are metal framed with fixed armrests. How a victorian woman managed to sit in them with their skirts is beyond us.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Perhaps at some Post-Covid time, if there ever is a Post-Covid time, some kind of historical re-enactment for seating and access could be useful!