Marsden Rail dvds

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Mickey

Marsden Rail dvds

Post by Mickey »

I notice that a number of people on here have referred to Marsden Rail videos & dvds anyway I have recently started collecting several of them from the Marsden Rail collection and the five dvds that I have recently acquired are-

No.3 Carlisle
No.5 Shrewsbury
No.6 Carnforth
No.21 Birmingham Two
No.36 North From Crewe

I also want to acquire about another dozen of them anyway at the start of the early dvds that appeared to have been made around 1994/1995 Mr.Marsden appears in them at the start seated in a armchair as he introduces the subject matter in that particular video/dvd but in dvd no.36 North From Crewe he doesn't appear so am I correct in assuming that he since passed away at some point in recent years?.

As for the Marsden Rail dvds themselves the five I have recently seen all appear to be really good to watch with plenty of steam action and 100% archive film footage from the 1960s.

Individually each dvd costs between £15 & £20. The earlier titles in the collection cost around £15-£16 while the more recent titles cost £20.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Marsden Rail dvds

Post by 52D »

Obviously with my interests i have North of Newcastle and have watched it over and over plus i have a great central Sheffield to Nottingham as well.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

It appears that Mr.Marsden being a Yorkshire man did quite a bit of filming on the Eastern & North Eastern regions although the Shrewsbury, Carnforth, Carlisle & North From Crewe are all very good to watch as well.

With regards to the Eastern & North Eastern regions in particular I would like to get Retford, Doncaster, Leeds, York & Darlington.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Here is the full list of titles available from Marsden Rail.

https://www.cinerail.com/

Under DVD CATEGORIES 'click on' Marsden Rail and it will show all 38 dvd titles.
Capybara
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Capybara »

Mickey wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 11:38 amI also want to acquire about another dozen of them anyway at the start of the early dvds that appeared to have been made around 1994/1995 Mr.Marsden appears in them at the start seated in a armchair as he introduces the subject matter in that particular video/dvd but in dvd no.36 North From Crewe he doesn't appear so am I correct in assuming that he since passed away at some point in recent years?
Yes (you are correct). I have a number of these and one, either at the start or the end, says something like "In memory of Michael Marsden (19xx-xxxx)". I think the "xxxx" was around 2001 or 2002, but I'd need to watch them all to find out. I think the early ones originally appeared on VHS which might explain why they are, in DVD terms, quite short in length.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Thanks for the info regarding Mr.Marsdsen passing away back in the early 2000s and yes I presume that you are correct about the earlier volumes originally being available on VHS video cassettes back in the 1990s because many of the earlier dvd releases have a running time of approximately 55-60 minutes in total although a later volume that I bought recently volume No.36 North From Crewe has a total running time of 68 minutes and the current latest Marsden Rail dvd volume No.39 York And The North East has a total running time of 76 minutes but leaving that a side there is a lot of interesting archive railway film footage from the 1960s to watch on those Marsden Rail dvds.
Wavey
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Wavey »

Michael Marsden did a film show at the RAF Association in Harrogate back in the 1980’s which I attended with my late father and Murray Brown. There was a lot of footage taken on the Leeds Northern that never made it onto the videos and DVDs.
I can remember lots of footage from the signal box at Nidd Bridge and in particular a Liverpool- Newcastle made up of maroon mark 1’s with a gleaming Gresley Buffet in blue and grey in the middle of the formation.
Stephen Middleton recalled that Michael Marsden owned half an ECJS clerestory body at one time that used to be shown at model railway exhibitions back in the 1970’s. This was later sold to Eden Camp near Malton in it’s early days. Apparently it was later broken up as rotten, although a small section compartment side section was retained and formed a display showing WWII evacuees.