Painting of No. 4479 by Michael Delany

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Painting of No. 4479 by Michael Delany

Post by 61070 »

Hello all,

I've been lent a print of a painting signed (but not dated) by an artist called Michael Delany and I'm trying to find out a bit more about it - see attached. There's a note on the back of the print as follows: '[4479] is seen here rebuilt to class A3 as she leaves Copenhagen Tunnel with an express for Newcastle.'

No.4479 Robert The Devil was a Grantham-based member of the class while carrying that number, except for a few months in 1942. She was rebuilt to A3 during 1942, which points to the date represented in the painting, if accurate, being between then and mid-1946, and probably at the post-war end of that period. I'd be interested to find out whether 4479 was chosen to be the subject (perhaps by a person who commissioned the painting from the artist) or if that's incidental.

Has anyone seen an image of this painting published anywhere? Is the location or ownership of the original painting known? I wonder if it's passed through any of the railway salerooms?

If possible I'd like to find out a little more about the artist too.

Having tried a bit of Internet research I've found another Michael Delany print (which is dated '73) of a railway subject on ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GWR-6000-King ... 1231966628

I also came across some paintings of historic aircraft dated during the 1980s by a 'Mike Delany' which bear a resemblance in style.

The Guild of Railway Artists website drew a blank.

I'll be very grateful for information about this painting or the artist. Here's hoping.

Season's greetings.
Attachments
painting of 4479 LR.jpg
painting of 4479 LR.jpg (61.45 KiB) Viewed 10351 times
Last edited by 61070 on Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Painting of No. 4479 by Michael Delany

Post by giner »

Very nice. Just a sideways thought, but might '1973’ be a print number, as in a limited number of prints having been produced? The liveries in the painting appear to be all GWR, though that's not necessarily solid evidence of when the painting was done. Hopefully someone can chip in with the full details.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

Thanks giner - that's a possibility I hadn't considered. If/when I find anything more I'll post a follow-up.
ten ten
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ten ten »

The figure 73 is just visible by the signature.Its a long standing tradition to put date of original artwork completion alongside the artist's signature or initials.The print run may well have been later.
Frank Delany
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Frank Delany »

Hello, I know this painting very well as it was the work of my late brother. It is still in the possession
Of one of the family. It was shown at an exhibition, attended by The Duke of Edinburgh, along with other artists work, including that of one of his heroes, Terence Cuneo.

Michael Joseph Delany was a self taught artist who worked with various media, oil,
Acrylics and water colour. He started his artistic path as a technical illustrator for the English Electric Company in Luton then moving onto freelance commercial art. He created a collection of railway subjects plus WWii aircraft.

Many Of his pieces were used for commemorative plates by Coalport China.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Frank Delany wrote:Hello, I know this painting very well as it was the work of my late brother. It is still in the possession
Of one of the family. It was shown at an exhibition, attended by The Duke of Edinburgh, along with other artists work, including that of one of his heroes, Terence Cuneo.

Michael Joseph Delany was a self taught artist who worked with various media, oil,
Acrylics and water colour. He started his artistic path as a technical illustrator for the English Electric Company in Luton then moving onto freelance commercial art. He created a collection of railway subjects plus WWii aircraft.

Thanks very much for that information.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

Frank Delany wrote:Hello, I know this painting very well as it was the work of my late brother. It is still in the possession

Hello Frank - I'm really delighted to hear from you. The print of your brother's superb painting was lent to me by a 90-year-old former Grantham fireman who still lives in the town; in fact I hope to see him again next week. The print's in a scrapbook he's made - he knew No.4479 very well because it was a locomotive in which the men at Grantham took a special pride. It's good to hear that the original painting is in good hands. I'll contact you by private mail (PM) as I'd like to ask permission to use an image of the picture in a project I'm working on.
Thank you for getting in touch.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

- he knew No.4479 very well because it was a locomotive in which the men at Grantham took a special pride.
You mean like this :D :

Nice painting and nice story.
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 61070 »

That cleaner and his mates did a great job, because when they had finished No.4479 looked like this! (scroll down to 4th and 5th pictures):

http://www.tracksthroughgrantham.uk/rai ... otographs/
Last edited by 61070 on Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rustymadras
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by rustymadras »

Hello Frank, I am pleased to say I am in possession of several of Michael's oil paintings. Most of them are of WW2 aircraft flying, one them is what looks like a wright brothers style plane flying over a field of flowers.

I came by them at small gallery in Whyteleafe, Surrey.

Russ Francis
dlatimer
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by dlatimer »

Hi Guys sorry for the post hijack but i was reasonably confident that you would like to see the Mike Delany items that i have in my possession
Please excuse my artistic ignorance but I have no idea if these are paintings or prints? I come across them in an auction 'job lot'.
They have 85 next the artist signature and that date fits with the framing style.
These are currently hanging on my wall as I really like them. Any information would be gratefully received.
David Latimer
mjd
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by mjd »

Hello David - this is a very late reply but I came across your post by chance recently.
This was my Dad's work which we still have in the family. I think it was painted in the 1980s but will double check next time I see it which should be soon.
He did also do many aircraft paintings - mostly WWII. He had himself been a flight mechanic in the RAF during the Berlin airlift.

Best wishes

Mike Delany (Jr)