Mallard 1948 Exchange Trials

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

soulmansteve
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Mallard 1948 Exchange Trials

Post by soulmansteve »

I acquired this wonderful image by an unknown photographer from a recent auction. The glass plate negative 'turned up' after no less than 65 years! It is of course 'Mallard' in sparkling E22 condition with what I assume is the 'ACE' at Exeter St. David's ready for departure. There is some confusion over the date with conflicting dates on the 'net'. I think this may be the ill-fated return journey on 9th June 1948 when 'Mallard' failed. I'm sure one of our expert viewers will confirm or refute this!
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Mallard 1948 Exchange Trials

Post by strang steel »

soulmansteve wrote:I acquired this wonderful image by an unknown photographer from a recent auction. The glass plate negative 'turned up' after no less than 65 years! It is of course 'Mallard' in sparkling E22 condition with what I assume is the 'ACE' at Exeter St. David's ready for departure. There is some confusion over the date with conflicting dates on the 'net'. I think this may be the ill-fated return journey on 9th June 1948 when 'Mallard' failed. I'm sure one of our expert viewers will confirm or refute this!
It would be nice to have a link to the image, though.

Aha! Found the other thread now.

That is a quality photo. Nothing of that nature comes up at auctions I attend, sadly.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/