Views From The Cab

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Views From The Cab

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I'll agree, thats a nice little collection you've got there, wish I'd taken a few more in my time at the 'Cross' Nice to see some of the places nobody bothers with Holme- Arlesey- Offord, always loved that bit, and being able to look right in to vicarage, through those spotless windows :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Hermit 109 »

Here are some B/W images, I have included a shot taken from the cab of a class 46 approaching Huntingdon, it's a bit shaky because we were motoring at the time, but interesting in showing Huntingdon layout in late 60's before the whole scene changed.
Huntingdon-Up-Line.jpg
Doncaster-Decoy-No.1.jpg
This picture and the previous at Decoy were taken from the cab of D9001
This picture and the previous at Decoy were taken from the cab of D9001
Another shot of D1506 at Lincoln St Marks with the 07.25 service to K.X
Another shot of D1506 at Lincoln St Marks with the 07.25 service to K.X
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

It's a pity that there isn't a 'vintage cabride' dvd/video available of the ECML like there is for the Midland main line from st Pancras to Sheffield in 1971 filmed by the British Transport Film Unit. This particular 1971 cabride was filmed on a 'peak' (class 45) and is available on two separate videos/dvds part one being st Pancras to Wellingborough and part two Wellingborough to Sheffield. I would have liked to have seen a vintage cabride from York to Kings Cross (up road for a change) filmed in 1969 part one being York to Retford and part two Retford to Kings Cross filmed on the secondman's side of a Brush type-4 that would have been very interesting.
1969 Would be an interesting year because several s/boxes were still in stitu in 1969 (just) Yaxley, Hatfield No.3 & Holloway north up to name three.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Great photos, Hermit. There was a mail pickup post alongside the down main just south of Hitchin, just before the bridge over the road up to Great Wymondley. Whether there was a drop-off at that point, I can't remember, but I would have thought so. I don't know about the other mail posts you mention, out of my bailiwick I'm afraid.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

Thanks Hermit, for the latest group (black & white's).

May I just say, for anyone who may be wondering through being unsure, that the 'approaching Huntingdon' shot is from the cab of an up train; the signal box being Huntingdon North No.2.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I remember a fella who was a 'trainee signalman' at the Ilford school being destined for Huntingdon North No.2 when i went there in 1972 to learn S/N telegraph. The few times that i ever saw Huntingdon North No.2 on passing trains during the 1970-1975 period the box always appeared to be 'switched out' on most occasions also i believe the box was gas lit because of the 'pale white'ish light' that was left on over the train register book at night i seem to recall.
Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Hermit 109 »

Last picture of modern day Offord I promise
St-Peters,-Offord-D'Arcy.jpg
Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Hermit 109 »

Back on the thread again. This is my oldest cab view. It was taken from the cab of an Austerity at K.X Top Shed in 1962, during an "engine movement" from the disposal pits toward the outlet signal at Goods and Mineral prior to setting back into what was known as "the back pits" where loco's were stabled while waiting for their next duty. As you can see, on this occasion there is another Austerity in front carrying out the same manoevre which was common practice. Often the locos, which had had their fires, ashpan and smokebox cleaned, or even the entire fire dropped, would have barely enough steam to move and approaching the outlet signal on a falling gradient could be a bit hairy for us inexperienced youngsters trusted by our drivers to make many of these solo shunts.
Top-Shed-62.jpg
MickB
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by MickB »

Micky wrote:Some nice pictures Hermit 109, nice to see two of Arlesey s/box quite possibly the 'most attractive looking' s/box on the G.N.R. main line bar none. I think the signalman at Offord could do with giving his 'up main starter' a few turns on the wire cos it looks like it's hanging wrong to me?. :lol:
Very nice indeed to see these pictures, especially the ones of Arlesey which brought back stacks of memories. I began my railway career there, way back in 1974 as a Signalman there and actually closed the 'box for the final time at 06:00 on the morning of Sunday 13/6/1976.

I then defected to 'the other side' and am still on the railway, I am now a Driver Manager for East Coast, based at Kings Cross.

MickB
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Hello Mick B i just read your post that you was a signalman at Arlesey between 1974-1976 well in that case you must remember another signalman who was at Arlesey around the same time a fella called Dougie (i forget his surname?) but Dougie was at Knebworth around 1970-73 when the box closed then i am not sure if he went to Cambridge Junction or he went straight from Knebworth to Arlesey but i am 95% certain that he went to Arlesey around 1974/75 and probably was at Arlesey when the box closed like you?.
MickB
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by MickB »

Micky wrote:Hello Mick B i just read your post that you was a signalman at Arlesey between 1974-1976 well in that case you must remember another signalman who was at Arlesey around the same time a fella called Dougie (i forget his surname?) but Dougie was at Knebworth around 1970-73 when the box closed then i am not sure if he went to Cambridge Junction or he went straight from Knebworth to Arlesey but i am 95% certain that he went to Arlesey around 1974/75 and probably was at Arlesey when the box closed like you?.
You must mean 'Dougal' (aka Philip Mead) who was my 'oppo' at Arlesey throughout 1975 and up to closure in June 76. Dougal came to Arlesey, having been made redundant by the closure of Hitchin Yard 'box. Dougal was a prolific Coke drinker and his mountain of empty Coke cans outside the boxes where he worked was legend, as was his liking of a certain north London football club..........

MickB
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

MickB wrote:
Micky wrote:Hello Mick B i just read your post that you was a signalman at Arlesey between 1974-1976 well in that case you must remember another signalman who was at Arlesey around the same time a fella called Dougie (i forget his surname?) but Dougie was at Knebworth around 1970-73 when the box closed then i am not sure if he went to Cambridge Junction or he went straight from Knebworth to Arlesey but i am 95% certain that he went to Arlesey around 1974/75 and probably was at Arlesey when the box closed like you?.
You must mean 'Dougal' (aka Philip Mead) who was my 'oppo' at Arlesey throughout 1975 and up to closure in June 76. Dougal came to Arlesey, having been made redundant by the closure of Hitchin Yard 'box. Dougal was a prolific Coke drinker and his mountain of empty Coke cans outside the boxes where he worked was legend, as was his liking of a certain north London football club..........

MickB

I moved my reply to the L.N.E.R. people page.
elydock
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by elydock »

Absolutely brilliant!! Keep them coming please. I have a photo of Queeny at her crossing gates taken circa 1981/2 by the late Pat Newson when he was out chasing Deltics. I'll see if I can dig it out.
KX6465
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by KX6465 »

Once again I find myself in a time machine.

I am sitting here in my swivel chair in front of my PC screen and its an incredible feeling seeing those pics taken through the second mans windows of a Deltic.

I was literally sitting here and could hear in my mind the sound of the engine at idle and approaching whatever station with the distinct sound of the tick tick tick as the bogie wheelsets went over the rail joints.

I don't think I will ever tire of seeing such images!
Its best to be seen in two tone green
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

You and me both :D

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.