Some more location questions

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Some more location questions

Post by jwealleans »

Agreed the second picture looks like Nottingham Victoria; the vehicle in shot is an ex-North Eastern SCV to D 189. Theres a very good picture of the same type of vehicle being horse shunted in Rev. Arthur Cawston's Steam at Grantham book.
Last edited by jwealleans on Sun May 25, 2014 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Bedford
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Bill Bedford »

The loco is an ex-GN C2 Klondyke.
John Palmer
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by John Palmer »

I too thought the first of the further photographs might be Nottingham Victoria. The presence of a set of louvres at the foot of the cattle box's side led me to wonder whether this was to LNER Diag. 242 rather than NER Diag.189.

As to the second of the further photographs, the last coach in the train appears to be a North British non-gangwayed Third Brake, whilst the distant signal cabin resembles the seventh North British design. I speculate this may be an Edinburgh or Glasgow location.

Nobody has offered a thought about the third picture in the first set. The somersaults suggest a Great Northern location; is that too obvious?
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Nobody has offered a thought about the third picture in the first set. The somersaults suggest a Great Northern location; is that too obvious?
I think you will find they have. Leeds Central.

John
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

1178 was based at Haymarket, so a Scottish location is very likely, the style of the buildings suggests this too.

The date is between June 1947, when the loco was new, and September 1948 when it went in for its first general repair and emerged with a BR number.

John
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

1178 could be near Gorgie Junction, Edinburgh perhaps?

John
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

John Palmer wrote: " .... Nobody has offered a thought about the third picture in the first set. The somersaults suggest a Great Northern location; is that too obvious? "
John,
Further back in this thread, on 04th May, JASd17 and Blink Bonny both posed a 'thought' for the third photo of robertcwp' original trio :
Blink Bonny wrote:
JASd17 wrote:The last one looks like Leeds Central.
John
I concur with that.
Unfortunately I never knew that area in steam/mechanical signalling times, so can't assist further on that assessment, and in any case the location pictured - wherever it is - is not at all familiar to me.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Robert,

The following link may help with the Scottish picture. If the link doesn't work it is in the Edinburgh Suburban section.

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/ ... p?id=38423

John
John Palmer
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by John Palmer »

StevieG wrote:
John Palmer wrote: " .... Nobody has offered a thought about the third picture in the first set. The somersaults suggest a Great Northern location; is that too obvious? "
John,
Further back in this thread, on 04th May, JASd17 and Blink Bonny both posed a 'thought' for the third photo of robertcwp' original trio :
Blink Bonny wrote:
JASd17 wrote:The last one looks like Leeds Central.
John
I concur with that.
Unfortunately I never knew that area in steam/mechanical signalling times, so can't assist further on that assessment, and in any case the location pictured - wherever it is - is not at all familiar to me.
:oops: Embarassing, really ought to have noticed that post before. But I agree, definitely Leeds Central. One noteworthy feature of the picture is the presence of two connected lockbars, one attached to each of the two switch tongues in the foreground. This feature persisted into the BR era. I take it that two bars are needed because they are mounted on the switch tongues and need to prevent these being shifted under a train irrespective of which way the road is set. So why not have a single bar immediately in rear of the switch? <edit> On further reflection, I think the lockbars may have been installed in this way in order to avoid having a bar attached to track adjacent to a platform face. This would effectively reduce the available platform standage since a train would have to stand clear of the bar in order to make possible selection of the departure road to be used. </edit>

As to the picture possibly set in Scotland, I too wondered whether this might be the 'Sub', but came to the conclusion it probably wasn't. Don't think the cabin is big enough for Gorgie Junction, and the signal layout doesn't look right. Haven't come across any likely candidates on the east side of Edinburgh, either.
robertcwp
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by robertcwp »

Thanks for the information. I shall update the captions later - been out at Railex today.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Re-1178. Agree, that there is something not quite right, when considering the location I had in mind.

John
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

Here is a closer view of the engine and stock:

Image1178_unknown-2 by robertcwp, on Flickr
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

John Palmer wrote: " .... One noteworthy feature of the picture is the presence of two connected lockbars, one attached to each of the two switch tongues in the foreground. This feature persisted into the BR era. I take it that two bars are needed because they are mounted on the switch tongues and need to prevent these being shifted under a train irrespective of which way the road is set. So why not have a single bar immediately in rear of the switch? <edit> On further reflection, I think the lockbars may have been installed in this way in order to avoid having a bar attached to track adjacent to a platform face. This would effectively reduce the available platform standage since a train would have to stand clear of the bar in order to make possible selection of the departure road to be used. </edit> .... "
Spot-on on the reasoning about this. Proximity to the platform is certainly one reason for resorting to the double-bar arrangement rather than a single (if not done that way, a single bar leading right up to the toes of the point 'tongues' (switch rails) would've necessitated the platform signals being positioned at the bar's other end - around perhaps 40 feet from the points: Thus as you say, reducing platform standage).
But, apart from the platform situation, any circumstance(s) that necessitated the signal/s protecting such facing points to be as close as possible to the toes, often saw the twin-bar arrangement resorted to.

Ah .... Apologies for having probably strayed a little far from this thread's topic.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
soulmansteve
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by soulmansteve »

I don't know where the rather fine B1 photograph was taken. However the buildings on the right have a distinctively 'Scottish' appearance, much like the tenements seen in many larger Scottish towns.
Regards - McSteve!!
Danby Wiske

Post by Danby Wiske »

The big chimney in the picture of 1178 makes me think of Carlisle...