Some more location questions

Post your photographs of the LNER and its Constituents here! Links to film/video are also welcome.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun

Mickey

Re: Some more location questions

Post by Mickey »

Bessacarr Junction ok thanks.
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

John Palmer wrote:Bessacarr Jc. seems to fit in with this photograph: https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmight ... nmightycat.

Edited to add: and with this one: https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmight ... 86498@N24/
That certainly seems to fit JP.

Next question, is it a regular working or a diversion from the GN Main Line?

The leading pair BTK/BSK and CK, suggest a through portion possibly?

John
robertcwp
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by robertcwp »

Thanks to all those who have contributed.

My kind assistant who first spotted the location has now found this image:

Imagesyks - tamper leaving dvr line bessacarr c69 JL by johnmightycat1, on Flickr
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

JASd17 wrote: Next question, is it a regular working or a diversion from the GN Main Line?

The leading pair BTK/BSK and CK, suggest a through portion possibly?

John
The best fit appears to be the weekdays 8.32 am Glasgow Queen Street-King's Cross, which had BSK, CK attached ahead of the main portion at Edinburgh then another BSK, CK attached to the front at Newcastle. Not sure what it would be doing going this way unless there was a blockage on the ECML.
Boris

Post by Boris »

1178 was new obviously, was delivered to Haymarket 23/6//47, Dairy Road 9/9/63,St Margaret s 18/11/63, condemned 13/2/64
EX DARNALL 39B FIREMAN 1947-55
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

Going back to this image I posted a few years ago, Gorgie Junction and Coltbridge Junction have been suggested on another forum, or possibly another location in the Edinburgh area. Any further suggestions or corroboration please?

Image1178_unknown by Robert Carroll, on Flickr
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Robert,

I suggested Gorgie Junction earlier in this thread, although as I recall there was something not quite right about that.

John
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

I could not match it with Gorgie Junction either.
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

is it possibly Dundee, down, i.e. northbound off the bridge from Esplanade to Tay Bridge station
62B off to the right out of shot?
just a thought
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

is it possibly Dundee, down, i.e. northbound off the bridge from Esplanade to Tay Bridge station
62B off to the right out of shot?
just a thought
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I am not sure about Dundee at all. But I can offer nothing else, as yet. The chimney in the background is very distinctive, I even tried looking that up!

It could be that it is one of the locations already discussed, who knows; I think someone will.

John
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

Here is another one:

Image60052_MasterCutler_Wilford_29-5-52 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

No doubt about the train or that it is heading north on the GC London Extension. I had thought it was just north of Wilford Brickworks on the south side of Nottingham, but the chimneys in the background don't fit as there are four in the image, and an overbridge between train and works, whereas there were only two chimneys at Wilford and no overbridge to the north. I also thought of somewhere near Calvert but the works there were to the west of the line.

Any further thoughts please?

The image came from the RHG Simpson collection, and I acquired the negative with rights to use.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Robert,

I believe I am correct in thinking that the Master Cutler took the Ashendon Junction route, therefore could the chimneys be the Woodham Brick Company works, on the GCR link line between Ashendon Jct and Grendon Underwood Jct? This was active from 1936 near Akeman Street station. The maps don't tally exactly but it might be a possible location.

John
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

JASd17 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:59 pm Robert,

I believe I am correct in thinking that the Master Cutler took the Ashendon Junction route, therefore could the chimneys be the Woodham Brick Company works, on the GCR link line between Ashendon Jct and Grendon Underwood Jct? This was active from 1936 near Akeman Street station. The maps don't tally exactly but it might be a possible location.

John
John

Thanks, yes the Cutler did go that way in the northbound direction (it went via the Met & GC going south). I shall investigate. It would fit as I have another image taken the same day and it appears by the same photographer at Quainton Road, which is not far away.
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

Several images in Celebration of Steam - The Chilterns by Laurence Waters confirm the location. Mystery solved. Thanks :D